Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Crossing Projected into another profile view?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TonyLeggieri3279
1546 Views, 5 Replies

Pipe Crossing Projected into another profile view?

I need to project a crossing pipe onto a road centerline.  I have water running down one side of the road 7' off the centerline of the road and sewer running down the other 8' off the centerline.  There is storm drain running perpindicular across the road.

The sewer and the water are projected onto the centerline of road profile.  When I draw the crossing pipes in that profile view and change the override, because it does not cross the centerline, it disappears from the profile view.

How can I accurately show the crossing at the proper invert of the respective crossing without drawing the ellipses manually?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

(Civil 3D 2011 SP2)

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SethHall
in reply to: TonyLeggieri3279

Hi Tony-

You should be able to draw pipes in profile view. This will get the accurate location of the invert, but to actually show the ellipse I believe the best option is to draw it in manually. 

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: TonyLeggieri3279

Add a disconnected pipe in pland that does cross the centerline, at the proper elevation. SHow it in profile, set the pipe style override in profile to show the ellipse, change the pipe style in plan to no show.

MIght be easier to just draw the ellipse manually Smiley Happy

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 6
SethHall
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff!!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 6

I will add it to the wishlist.  Drawing it manually doesn't lose anything since it is how we have always had to do it anyway.  Would just save a ton of time if we could automate it.

Just seems like it would be the next logical step.  If I can profile an offset, why can't I also include the crossing(s) at that offset.

Oh well.  Baby steps I guess.

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 6 of 6

Here is a workaround that I just came up with today:

Create a separate profile view with the utility alignment so you can get the accurate crossing, then just overlay the profile with crossings right on top of your main profile view.

I prefer this workaround because I have some pipes crossing at very oblique angles, so the crossing section is pretty wide. Using a structure and crossing style doesn't accurately reflect how wide the crossing can get when they're so oblique. And for me personally, copying a dummy pipe to cross with the project baseline just seems awkward and cumbersome to manage.

Here are the two profile views separated:

Capture.JPG

Here they are together:

Capture2.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report