Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Bands for sewer design profile views

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
peter_thomson
319 Views, 3 Replies

Pipe Bands for sewer design profile views

I am pleased to report I survived another day mucking about with C3D styles that go bad....AutoDESK are pretty lucky that silly buggers like me will persevere over many hours to get a satisfactory result.

i found that 2 pipe band styles in my sewer design drawing kept interacting with each other....change one style and the other changed with it!! very frustrating. I am wondering whether it has something to do with copying a style to edit it to make a new one....

anyway, i have another conundrum to pose...again wrt display of PVs with pipes in NZ.

I put all my main sewer pipes in one network...so that all junction manholes will label in my band styles. Remember that there is only one data source for a style in a band.
problem is that i then add pipes as crossing pipes, which I label with a profile view label (invert level and reference text for the alignment) but there is no way to NOT have the crossing pipe data also display in the band unless I have it in a separate network...but then i don't get the data displaying at the junction manholes.

Its a bit like a lose-lose situation right at the moment.

So, I label my pipes crossing pipes and then turn them off.

Have I missed something?

Sorry, but I cannot get access to tinypics because we have a filter that disallows access to that site....so here is a couple of snapshots in a word doc.

Am I asking too much again?

cheers,
Peter
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
T_Bernhard
in reply to: peter_thomson

Peter,

You can overlap bands - just set the lower band for MINUS the band's height. Thus, if two bands are 15mm high, set the Gap (Profile View Properties, Band tab) of the lower Band to -15mm and the two bands will overlap perfectly.

Thus, you can insert the same band into the PV twice, set the Gap like that, and set them to the two different source networks and get the data you're after. (Acutally, you may need to create a copied Band Style that has the title switched off. Just a thought.)

HTH,
Trevor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Trevor....I have actually done this before but never thought of it for this.

Trouble is I had to spend too much brain power fixing a couple of troublesome styles that I forget some simple solutions...

So, for your sewer networks do you keep the sewer lines in separate networks...ie FS LINE1, FS LINE 2 etc...or do you put them all into one network and ensure the reference alignments match?

cheers,
Peter Message was edited by: Peter Thomson
Message 4 of 4
T_Bernhard
in reply to: peter_thomson

I don't tend to have to use networks like that. Our pipe projects generally involve "That section from there to there has to be replaced and upsized" or "We need a bypass line from here to here". Subdivisions are handled by the developers' consultants.

That said, when I'm doing a new road, I'll also make a separate alignment(s) specifically for the SW pipes (haven't yet had a new road big enough to justify a genuine "network") if I need a long section for them, though often we get away with clear spot elevations and grades.

Trevor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report