Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcels Problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Cadguru42
3367 Views, 6 Replies

Parcels Problem

I have a drawing that contains 23 parcels for the properties along a road project I'm working on.  I have some user-defined properties for the parcels that I named "Tax Data" and have things like the parcel number, owner, tax map number, parcel group, deed book, and page number.  I have some labels setup that display this data. No problem so far.

However, now I'm working on the ROW acquisition and decided against making sites and parcels for the ROW, slope easements, etc. and instead just use dumb polylines while leaving the parcels alone.  I routinely save from my many, many years of video game playing.  I had drawn probably 10 polylines and saved the drawing.  Then, I drew an arc, offset it, and saved the drawing. During the second save I received a message stating that the drawing contained errors and that I should run recover on the drawing.

I ran an audit and told it to fix any errors. Zero errors and zero objects deleted.  Strange.  So, I ran audit a second time, forgetting to tell it it to fix any errors, and I get a giant list for AeccDbFace(hex#) objects that were not repaired and an AutoCAD Message dailog saying, "Program Errors were detected. Recommend that you save your work and restart the program."  I click OK, then the command line says "Total errors found 0 fixed 0 Erased 0 objects."  If I run audit and fix errors, no errors are detected.

So, I restarted C3D and ran a recover on the drawing with no errors found.  However, recovery created a layer called $AUDIT-BAD-LAYER.  I did a QSELECT for anything on that layer and it finds 2,007 parcels.  I delete them and do a LAYDEL on the layer, but they never actually delete and the layer never gets removed.  I have one site and that site only lists my 23 parcels, so I don't understand how QSELECT on that layer is selecting 2,007 parcel objects, all with 0 sq. ft. area.

I can save the drawing, restart the program, even restart the computer and this drawing always has this problem.  So, I tried inserting that drawing as a block into a new drawing and the same problems happen.  I tried doing a LandXML export of the parcels, but the user-defined properties do not export with it and I don't see a way to transfer that data.  I looked back at my BAK file and it also has the problem.  Another odd thing is that my autosave for just this drawing happened to stop working on 3-5-12, but all my other drawings have their autosaves.

Bottom line is, am I screwed?  Am I going to have to redo all the parcels as well as the user-defined properties?  Is there a way to transfer the 23 parcels to a new drawing and keep the user-defined properties?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: Cadguru42

I dont mean to be the be the bearer of bad news, put I think your screwed.

Parcels are far to buggy for everyday work and you should really stay away from them. They work good on screen put like just about everything in C3D, they have there shortcomings and this is one of them.

You should do a little research on using Map instead of parcels for the tax map stuff, just import a DB or other file links for that.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Cadguru42
in reply to: rl_jackson

I was affraid of that.  I hardly ever use parcels and thought for once I'd try to use the software that Autodesk says will do things like this.  Guess it doesn't work as advertised.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 7
stacy.dunn

To get the parcel data out I would do the following:

1. Create a label style that is essentially a comma delimeted list. ie parcel no, area, property, property, ....

2. explode the civil labels and then combine all of the labels to a single piece of mtext using the express tools

3. the mtext can then be copied and pasted into a text file that you can later import into a database for use with map.

The only time I have seen a large amount of phantom parcels is when survey figures are imported into a drawing.  Every location that you have closed survey figures a parcel is created.  This parcel cannot be deleted, even after the figure is created.

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Stacy,

That's thinking OOTB

Smiley Wink

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
stacy.dunn

I haven't ever seen this box people keep talking about. Smiley Happy

Stacy Dunn
Message 7 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: stacy.dunn

@stacy.dunn wrote:

I haven't ever seen this box people keep talking about. Smiley Happy

Maybe that's because you taught yourself, rather than relying on generic ATC training...  🙂

But in any case, there are TONS of bugs with Parcels.  We've completely ignored Parcel UDPs at Edward-James Surveying, because there are too many problems with them.  Maybe one of these days Autodesk will start to concentrate on this, but from my discussions with them, they say there are too few people who care about them, compared to people who care about things like Corridors, so they haven't been working on them at all.  That's where we're at.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report