Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain to work wirh AutoCAD C3D

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
bozoli
653 Views, 11 Replies

Pain to work wirh AutoCAD C3D

Hi Colleques and friends,

i have really ran out of option in makiing a civil 3d a productive civil software to wark with, it has turned in to nothing but a pain, owk enough with my fratrations. i have been working with c3d on a very small, all of them being less than a kilometer leng of road which i got better results.

the real pain started when i had to do a 30km lenghth of road with all the super-elevation in it. The biggest pain is that the machines is has become very very very slow (even a snail is million times faster). regardsless data referencing all my alignments, surface, profile. just a corridor drawing only, it is about 73Mb nd you can imagine that i have to do cross-section inthe same drawing because i have realised that it is impossible to data referenc the corridor, if possible how do i go about that.

and worst of them pain is that my offset left and right bands labels are not showing on my profile view long section..now i dont know how aill i get this bug rite. i have used a LaneOutsideSuperLayerVaryingWidth assembly, but nothing seem to solve the problem.

please coleques, help a brother out, or else the client is  will chop me alive.

thanx in advance

silver

64bit OS

6G ram

inter(R) core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @3.00GHz

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bozoli

Sorry to hear of you woes.

First thing I do is make sure all the windows special effects are turned off. As for DS a corridor that is correct, but you can xref the corridor and DS the alignemnt and cut cross sections.

I don't have much input on your data band issue. What version

winsettings.PNG

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
mathewkol

Make sections in a new file:
1. DREF the alignment
2. XREF the corridor
3. Make the sample lines and views in the new dwg

You have less than the recommended amount of RAM. You should have at least 12 for doing large projects.

Maybe your corridor frequency is too high. During the desing phase you can set it less frequent. When you're ready for production or to get more accurate sections and volumes set it to be more frequent.

Split the corridor into mulriple regions and turn a bunch off while working ti assist in performance.

You could also split the corridor into multiple drawings if you really had to.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 12
taneum

73mb seems like an awfully large file too. I would be sure to split things out into separate files. One file for existing surface model and then use a data shortcut for it. Existing utilities in another file and xref that in.

I purge and audit all the time to keep things clean. Also, under purge, remember to purge out unregistered applications. These will not purge out if you simply "purge all". Type "-purge to avoid using the dialog box and using the command prompt. When you get to the purge options, look for the "unregistered applications" option and do that one. Sometimes old files, templates, or drawings that get copied from project to project get a ton if them attached.
Message 5 of 12
ericcollins6932

ALso, C3D best practices mentions limiting your corridors to 15 km in length, and doing them in pieces if they exceed that length.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 12
AllenJessup

I'll second what Matt said. Start with more RAM.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
bozoli
in reply to: taneum

Thanks all of you guys for your suggesttion, i see you all advising for a limiting my llenth of the road. let me so maar get on top of and asses the response..

but i see you havnt touched the missing bands labels

much appreciated

silver

AutoCAD civil 3d 2013

Message 8 of 12
bozoli
in reply to: AllenJessup

collegues, sorry by the way, i actually meant 16GB ram, not 6GB ram.

thanx

Message 9 of 12
taneum

We started with 12gb of RAM and just upgraded to 48gb

Message 10 of 12
bozoli
in reply to: taneum

Taneum,

and how is the machine perfomance now?, can you please share your computer spec, maybe i will soon upgrade it to that

Message 11 of 12
taneum

Yeah no problem.......

Processor: Intel(R) XeonR) CPU   E5506 @ 2.13GHz  (2 Processors)

Installed Memory: 48.0 GB

System Type: 64-bit Windows 7

Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Hard Drive: 465 GB

We noticed a lot less crashing all the time due to running around 4-6 GB of RAM all the time.  Lots more free memory so the system can function more efficiently maybe.  I am not the comouter guy here, we farm that out as we are a small office here.  These machines are custom built  and about 3 years old now and I assume we will upgrade them next year at this time as we upgrade machines every 3-4 years or so for us draftsmen.

Message 12 of 12
sboon

There is a known issue with long superelevated alignments reported here.

Most of my projects are quite long, but I would never attempt to design more than 5-8km in a single file.  You might be able to make the corridor work, but adding all of those sections, section views, material quantities etc will be almost impossible.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report