Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLINEGEN on alignments, profiles

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
264 Views, 14 Replies

PLINEGEN on alignments, profiles

I've noticed that I can't get a smooth linetype working on alignments and profiles, especially on profile surfaces because of the TIN sampling interval. Our standard is to show existing profile grade lines as HIDDEN. Is there an option to apply PLINEGEN to these entities? I do have PLINEGEN =1 before importing the profile. If not, I'll just have to use the "Continuous" linetype. Thanks, Dave D.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D http://au.autodesk.com Sign up now for AU2004!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

The Ways of the Work-Around... So we then need to Export the Profiles through LandXML to LDT, and then choose the Company Standard Linetype? I would hope they issue a patch instead of waiting for the Spring 2005 release! But I hope we don't see the infamous c4a patch identifier. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... > It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! >
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface profile lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? I'm guessing that the answer is - "we need the option to make any profile line dashed/solid, etc" - but I need to ask the question. Thanks DAS "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... > It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D > http://au.autodesk.com > Sign up now for AU2004! > >
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Hey Dave; As you expected the answer you guessed at was the correct one. In return, I will ask why would it be otherwise? We are at the mercy of the agencies whose jurisdictions we do Useful Work in. The cities of Eugene and Springfield, Oregon are only separated by I-5, and their standards are distinct to each. And they are both distinct from Lane County that surrounds them. Whatever their standards are, that's what we must follow. So we need all the flexibility we can get! But, hey, thanks for asking. We very much appreciate being part of the loop. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface > profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? > > I'm guessing that the answer is - "we need the option to make any profile > line dashed/solid, etc" - but I need to ask the question. > > Thanks > DAS > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... >> It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. >> >> -- >> James Wedding, P.E. >> IT Manager >> Jones & Boyd, Inc. >> Dallas, TX >> XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G >> LDT2005+C3D >> http://au.autodesk.com >> Sign up now for AU2004! >> >> > >
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

"Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? Dave, I do landfill profiles. Within these profile views, there are generally between 9-10 different profiles (Previous EG, EG, FG, separate cell profiles). It would be nice to have several of these as dashed, particularly the cell profiles (with a light lineweight) and the Previous EG (with a heavier lineweight)
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I'm trying not to export anything back into LDT unless I need to do Pipes / Hydrology. keepin' on movin' forward. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:41914d6f$1_2@newsprd01... > The Ways of the Work-Around... > > So we then need to Export the Profiles through LandXML to LDT, and then > choose the Company Standard Linetype? > > I would hope they issue a patch instead of waiting for the Spring 2005 > release! > > But I hope we don't see the infamous c4a patch identifier. > > -- > Don Reichle > Hacker Engineering, Inc. > "King of Work-Arounds" > LDT & CD 2004 > C3D 2004 SP1 > On HP Pavilion a367c > 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM > XP PRO - SP2 > > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... >> It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. >> >> -- >> James Wedding, P.E. >> IT Manager >> Jones & Boyd, Inc. >> Dallas, TX >> XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G >> LDT2005+C3D >> http://au.autodesk.com >> Sign up now for AU2004! >> > >
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Yes Dave. There may be times where we need to show right and left offsets from centerline. In that case, I'd use something like DASHDOT or DIVIDE. I can do this now, but the linetype does not generate smoothly through vertices. Well let's say I can do this now in most cases. One profile grade line that I have has many vertices taken from a what I'll call a tightly constructed TIN. So there are many elevations taken at short horizontal distances along the grade line, creating many vertices and a CONTINUOUS looking linetype. Dave D. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface > profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? > > I'm guessing that the answer is - "we need the option to make any profile > line dashed/solid, etc" - but I need to ask the question. > > Thanks > DAS > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... >> It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. >> >> -- >> James Wedding, P.E. >> IT Manager >> Jones & Boyd, Inc. >> Dallas, TX >> XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G >> LDT2005+C3D >> http://au.autodesk.com >> Sign up now for AU2004! >> >> > >
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Dave, Sometimes, I've seen the need for superimposed profiles to be dashed. So the answer is a Yes. Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? > > I'm guessing that the answer is - "we need the option to make any profile > line dashed/solid, etc" - but I need to ask the question. > > Thanks > DAS > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... > > It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. > > > > -- > > James Wedding, P.E. > > IT Manager > > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > > Dallas, TX > > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > > LDT2005+C3D > > http://au.autodesk.com > > Sign up now for AU2004! > > > > > >
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Tyler Texas - EG profiles are sampled 16.5 feet left and right, 30 feet left and right, and 45 feet left and right of the centerline - 7 profile lines in each profile view; not real purdy in their current state. sm -- Scott McEachron The D.C. CADD Company "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface > profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? > > I'm guessing that the answer is - "we need the option to make any profile > line dashed/solid, etc" - but I need to ask the question. > > Thanks > DAS > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41914b72$1_1@newsprd01... >> It's been logged as a bug. One of my BIGGEST issues. >> >> -- >> James Wedding, P.E. >> IT Manager >> Jones & Boyd, Inc. >> Dallas, TX >> XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G >> LDT2005+C3D >> http://au.autodesk.com >> Sign up now for AU2004! >> >> > >
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

"Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4192245c_2@newsprd01... > > Are there cases where you're drafting anything other than EG surface profile > lines as a dashed linetype? Would you ever draft the FG profile line as > dashed? Maybe the EOP or other offset lines may be dashed lines? I've looked at all the responses to this so far, and it seems like most of you are asking for the application PLINEGEN to EG and Superimposed profiles, not FG profiles. My thinking is that FG profiles usually don't have those small segments that make it look continuous in places when the PLINEGEN setting is not applied. Is that correct? Ofcourse, you can still apply a line type to the FG profile, just that PLINEGEN would not apply... -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Himanshu, You are probably right, the FG profiles USUALLY don't have the small segments but, why limit their versatility? Is it that much more difficult to program the FG plinegen than the EG plinegen? Why not just do them all and let the user decide how they would look best? -- Brian Hailey LDT2005 C3D2005 XP Pro - SP 2 P4 2.8GHz 1.00 GB of RAM > I've looked at all the responses to this so far, and it seems like most of > you are asking for the application PLINEGEN to EG and Superimposed > profiles, > not FG profiles. My thinking is that FG profiles usually don't have those > small segments that make it look continuous in places when the PLINEGEN > setting is not applied. Is that correct? Ofcourse, you can still apply a > line type to the FG profile, just that PLINEGEN would not apply... > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > >
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Hey Himanshu; In seconding Brian's motion, I will put forth the suggestion that it will likely occur to us (probably sooner rather than later) to use FG profiles to identify Future conditions as well, and so we would find the ability to use either simple or complex linetypes a necessity. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "Brian Hailey" wrote in message news:4194d502$1_3@newsprd01... > Hi Himanshu, > > You are probably right, the FG profiles USUALLY don't have the small > segments but, why limit their versatility? Is it that much more difficult > to program the FG plinegen than the EG plinegen? Why not just do them all > and let the user decide how they would look best? > > -- > Brian Hailey > LDT2005 > C3D2005 > XP Pro - SP 2 > P4 2.8GHz > 1.00 GB of RAM > >> I've looked at all the responses to this so far, and it seems like most of >> you are asking for the application PLINEGEN to EG and Superimposed >> profiles, >> not FG profiles. My thinking is that FG profiles usually don't have those >> small segments that make it look continuous in places when the PLINEGEN >> setting is not applied. Is that correct? Ofcourse, you can still apply a >> line type to the FG profile, just that PLINEGEN would not apply... >> >> -- >> Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. >> >> > >
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

"Don Reichle" wrote in message news:4194dfa1$1_2@newsprd01... >In seconding Brian's motion, I will put forth the suggestion that it will likely occur to us (probably > sooner rather than later) to use FG profiles to identify Future conditions as well, and so we would > find the ability to use either simple or complex linetypes a necessity. Keep in mind Don, that you can already assign line types to all profiles in C3D by editing the profile style and setting the lintype and linetype scale appropriately. The issue is only with regard to PLINEGEN, i.e. an AutoCAD setting for PLINEs to indicate that the linetype pattern should continue across vertices. -- Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Yes, I realize that, Himanshu, and I still agree that whatever linetype we assign should appear continuous through the vertices, and not stop and start at each one. This would especially be true for the complex linetypes with embedded text. -- Don Reichle Hacker Engineering, Inc. "King of Work-Arounds" LDT & CD 2004 C3D 2004 SP1 On HP Pavilion a367c 2.80 Ghz/512MB RAM XP PRO - SP2 "H Gohel" wrote in message news:41952014_3@newsprd01... > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:4194dfa1$1_2@newsprd01... > >>In seconding Brian's motion, I will put forth the suggestion that it will > likely occur to us (probably >> sooner rather than later) to use FG profiles to identify Future >> conditions > as well, and so we would >> find the ability to use either simple or complex linetypes a necessity. > > Keep in mind Don, that you can already assign line types to all profiles > in > C3D by editing the profile style and setting the lintype and linetype > scale > appropriately. The issue is only with regard to PLINEGEN, i.e. an AutoCAD > setting for PLINEs to indicate that the linetype pattern should continue > across vertices. > > -- > Himanshu Gohel. Civil3D Team, Autodesk, Inc. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report