Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIpes not connecting to center of structure

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DRW_CAD
2663 Views, 5 Replies

PIpes not connecting to center of structure

This is kind of weird. I got this drawing and the pipe label in both plan and profile appears to be wrong. When I measure between the center of two manholes I get a different distance than the pipe label displays. I check all the normal stuff, pipes are connected to structure, I try swap part.
same thing, bad distance.

Long story short, one of the manholes, when you select a pipe & connect to part and pick that manhole, it's not going to the exact center, which is accounting for the slight difference in length. so the label is correct, it's just that the pipe is not attaching to the center. I can delete the structure, add in a new one & it works but swapping parts to something else and then back to same part doesn't resolve it.

Anyone have an idea how it got this way? i.e. How does a user inadvertantly change the point of pipe attachent on a structure?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lsimms1
in reply to: DRW_CAD

A user can do this with a great deal of effort. A user can do many things that can catch you totally off guard.
What they may have done is select the end of the pipe and drag it a bit. Also check the label style. Some people don`t understand the difference between 2d lengths and 3d legnths. One more check is to see if the label has been edited (edit label text). I have found some find it easier just to edit and type in correct info instead of changing the pipe to make the pipe correct. (this goes for inverts as well)
(Apparently I am having a bad day trying to correct all this garbage)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

You may want to try disconnecting the pipe and then connecting it again if
you lose descriptions when swapping parts.

--

John Mayo, PE

Win 7 64, C3D & RD 2010
Core i7 920, 6 GB DDR3
Quadro FX 1700
Message 4 of 6
DRW_CAD

I created the styles & they are set to 2d length. I put the network in a new empty file, I've relabeled with different labels. I've checked to see that the label hasn't been edited. attached, reatached, relabeled, etc.

You draw a line & snap to the center of the structure, highlight the pipes & see the grip and see that they are not going to the center of the structure. If you use the pipe grips to move the ends to the center of the structure, the label displays the correct length because the pipes are going to the center of the structure.

I've got it fixed, I just can't figure out how someone got it to that state in the first place.
Message 5 of 6
dperde

> {quote:title=Doug_000 wrote:}{quote}
> I've got it fixed, I just can't figure out how someone got it to that state in the first place.
I can tell you, is pretty easy to get that mishap. After you put in the structure and the pipes, move the structure by dragging it. That will give you sometimes the error you are experiencing. The correct way to move the structure, after everything is in place, is to edit the coordinates in the structure properties. That way you'll get rid of errors.
Message 6 of 6
MUNGUNUK
in reply to: dperde

I am drawing sewer network  on clicking to place manholes they are offsetting away from the pipe alignment

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report