Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC for training center (Help me choice)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
wedzisi
606 Views, 8 Replies

PC for training center (Help me choice)

hello 🙂 , we are planing create trainig center and planning buy some pc's , so plzz can you tell me if it will be normal for training ? starting from Civil 3d , Autocad ,3Ds maxs and Revit

CPU: Core i3 more then 2.3ghz

VGA: Intel HD

Ram 8gb

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: wedzisi

In some ways computers used for training have to be more robust than those used for production. It can be embarrassing if your class spends more time recovering from computer problems than doing training.

As far as the specs you posted. Not too bad on the CPU. The faster the better but that should be adequate for training. You need a high end video card if you're going to be doing much in 3D. I prefer the Nvidia Quadro series. But any quality card should do. RAM is too low. I'd double it at least. Of course it can depend on how in depth the training is going to be. But it sounds like you're ambitious in your goals.

Also. Is this going to be for training inside of your company or are you selling the service. If it's internal you can stand a few problems along the way. If the people getting training are paying for it. They will be displeased if there is a lot of time lost to computer glitches.

A friend built a mobile Civil 3D lab based on the Dell M6500. I think they're up to the M6800 now. If you don't need to be mobile. An equivalent Dell workstation or other brand should do. It'll be a lot of money up front. But if you don't invest in the business you may not find success.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
wedzisi

work stations are good i know but for training is not it waste of money ? becouse for now it will be esentials and not deep training 🙂 , actualy i am from georgia and it will be first ATC in this country but , i think work stations are too mutch for now 🙂

The reason why i choose this position is that for now there are not planned large projects at the begining , i have hp elitebook 8560w at work with 8 gb ram for civil 3d and  it is good. now i am working for 17.5 km project but i don't think that i would give the whole 17 km for training.

Message 4 of 9
AllenJessup

Your experience with what will be needed is key. What needs to be produced for projects varies widely across the USA so I have no idea what you'll be dealing with half way across the world. It can also differ if you'll be concentrating on Subdivision or Highway work.

I still might recommend 12 GB or RAM. That wouldn't raise the cost too much.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> VGA: Intel HD

At least I would never use an Intel GC, there are too much threads about issues with it.

If you have to take care of costs and a Quadro is to expensive, then take a nVidia GTX or something like that ... cheaper, more power and far more stable compared to the Intel one (which is really no CAD gc).

If you start with 8GB, it will be ok, if your first lessons show that you need more it's up to you to do that or not.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 9
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

I'm working with Win 7 Pro, 32 bit; Intel Core i5 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM right now.  Not that I'd recommend it.  But it works.  I don't do any rendering or 3D views to speak of.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 9
wedzisi

ram is not problem it  is cheap, i can put even 16 gb  , that specification  is for  all-in-one PC  , i think it is more comfortable , but if i will buy desktop then i am planing wit Core i5 nvidia gtx 650 or 660 , 16 gb ram and etc

Message 8 of 9
AllenJessup

@wedzisi wrote:

ram is not problem it  is cheap, i can put even 16 gb  , that specification  is for  all-in-one PC  , i think it is more comfortable , but if i will buy desktop then i am planing wit Core i5 nvidia gtx 650 or 660 , 16 gb ram and etc

That sounds fine. What my friend does is use laptops with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. The laptop stands up in a  frame and takes up very little room. He finds that is convenient for offering on-site training.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
wedzisi

good idea for sites 🙂 , but for class room i prefer desktop or all-in-one , so what i found all in ones here they have max 8 gb ram and core i3 or celeron (celeron isnot good ) and intel hd , so just intereseted if somone have similiar pc and if on that can be teach not big projects  like coridor 600 m. length , simple rendering and etc . i amsearching now with more specifications all-in-one

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report