Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping Section Lines in Corridor Because of PI in Alignment

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dbussie
2010 Views, 10 Replies

Overlapping Section Lines in Corridor Because of PI in Alignment

Because there is a PI in my alignment, the section lines in my corridor are overlapping creating problems with the surface.  Is there anything that I can do in this situation?  Please see attached screen shot.

Thank you!
Desirea
Civil 3d 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
wfberry
in reply to: dbussie

You need a curve to remedy this.

Bill

Message 3 of 11
csevers
in reply to: wfberry

I'm confused. What problems are caused in your corridor? I don't think a section line can change a corridor in any way.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 4 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Ditto Bill's suggestion it could be small but should be in there. Think about it if you are standin inside the pi what station are you at? left of pi or right of pi

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
wfberry

The radius of your curve should be just larger than the distance from the alignment to the back side of you corridor (particularly on the inside of the curve).  Is your "picture" complete?  Will you have daylight lines, if so you need to allow for that.

Bill

Message 6 of 11
fcernst

Message 7 of 11
dbussie
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks everyone.  I will add a curve.  I had it drawn the way the engineer had shown it in the plans.

Message 8 of 11
Ntuthuko.

You don't need a curve. What's happening is, as you can see you have two sectional lines there, one at the PI and one just after. The one after the PI has obviously turned the corner and is hence deflected and subsequently intersecting the other one. My guess is the line after the PI relates to your PVI (vertical profile). The PVI should be exactly at the PI but you've missed it by a small amount. Fixing this will solve this problem.

[I know the question was asked 4 years ago but this might help someone.]

Ntuthuko

Message 9 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Keep in mind the vertical geometry will not alway match the horizontal. The horizontal curve addition is you best bet

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
Ntuthuko.
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe

That's true. It's best to understand what is going on and then make an
informed decision, rather than adding or omitting elements unnecessarily.

Ntuthuko
Message 11 of 11
fcernst

No..

Need to specifically address the mitered corner problem, "not add a curve"...

Either use 2017, or my solution from 2012 that uses Subassmblies that can Miter together.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report