Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of date surface

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
TROYDAWES
2780 Views, 3 Replies

Out of date surface

I have been working with a file for about a month with no problems, the EG Surface was built from existing 2D polylines at an elevation (topo) that I received from another engineering firm. I was able to build the surface, build my alignments, profiles and set grades. While setting pads, the surface became out of date. I have re-built it, but then the surface disappears. When the surface is there, (I go back to and re-open the file) and so any grading, the dwg locks up. I have "Saved AS" any time I make big changes. The current file is only 4.5 MB, the last dwg that shows the surface is 16.3 MB. (the files range up to 20 MB)

This is a 65 lot sub-division, with one main road, 1 dead end, 2 cul-de-sacs, and 1 loop roadway, approximately 11 Acres

My background is coming from Land Developer, the first Civil 3D software was 2009, back in 2008. The firm I am with now has Civil 3D 2014, and I am mucking my way through, most of the commands are the same. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a glitch in 2014. I can upload the file if someone else wants to see it. 

I have tried to re-create the surface in a new dwg, then use that as a reference, but when I try to create the new surface, I am only getting errors. (polylines are crossing) I adjust all the crossings, and then try to build it, but nothing seems to be working.

Any help, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rendarin
in reply to: TROYDAWES

My guess is you deleted the 2D polylines that were given to you. For every surface, C3D makes a list of what was used/done to define that surface; so if whatever you used to make the EG surface was modified, it will tell you it's out of date.

So if you deleted the polylines by accident, the surface won't have anything to build from.
Message 3 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: TROYDAWES

I'm wondering how it's possible that you would be getting crossing errors when all you have are contours...which should never cross.

Anyway, is it safe to assume you meand "Land Desktop" instead of Land Developer?  Many people who make surfaces from contours they've been given , using Land Desktop< erase those contours afterward.  Did you do this?  If so, DON'T.  Unlike LDT where once you've built your surface, you can remove everything you used to define it, Civil 3D requires those objects to remain in the drawing becusae everything is all dynamically linked.

That is my guess at why your surface disappeared when rebuilt.

Try adding the contours as Contour Data and not Breaklines when creating your surface in the new file.  Not sure if you've been doing thid already.  Otherwise, I'm having trouble figuring out the exact nature of your rrors.  Can you be a little more specific and attach some screen captures?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 4
rendarin
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:

I'm wondering how it's possible that you would be getting crossing errors when all you have are contours...which should never cross.

Just want to add, sometimes generated contours do cross if the topography is quite drastic IF the person who generated the contours used a high contour smoothening, which makes the contours spline-y.  If they do, try asking the person who provided you the contours to regenerate them without contour smoothening.

I've had a few clients who did that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report