Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Osnap settings won't stay when ACAD closes

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
aberry
4937 Views, 18 Replies

Osnap settings won't stay when ACAD closes

Hello,

All of my OSNAP settings are reverting back to some default every time I open AutoCAD. This includes the snaps that are auto (I set endpoint, intersection and perpendicular. When I reopen, I get a random medly of snaps like tanget, parallell, insertion ect.) Object Snap tracking also truns off.

The settings in my profile also turn off (eg. marker). I have tried saving the settings to my profile with no luck. All of my other profile setting remain untouched.

I'm hoping that I'm just missing some command setting (like when you discover that pickfirst or visretain need to be set). Has anybody had to solve this issue?

I'm on Civil 3D 2012

Thanks,

A

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
coopdetat
in reply to: aberry

I have the same problem (I also use C3D).  The OSMODE variable is always set to 1025, the random mix you identified is OSMODE=1025 i'll bet.  This is very annoying.  Nothing that should work to set it upon opening AutoCAD C3D does work.  I only have this workaround:

I created a custom button containing this custom command:
^C^C(SETVAR "AUTOSNAP" 7)(SETVAR "OSMODE" 1287)

Just figure out what your desired Autosnap and Osmode values are and replace them with your own values (type Autosnap or Osmode at the command prompt when it is as you like it to see your value)

This makes it a bit less painfull but Autodesk needs to fix this problem!

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

The typical ?'s  Have you modified the ACADXXXDOC.LSP or do have an ACAD.LSP file that may be loading a custom program that is causing this?  Running any third party software?

I am on Civil3D 2011 SV (32 bit) so I can't speak on if it's a bug in 2012 or if you are running 64 bit.

Message 4 of 19
aberry
in reply to: Anonymous

My typical OSMODE is 1185. I don't think creating that button will solve the other half of the problem where Autocad turns off "marker" and "magnet" in the Drafting Options, despite my profile. I can see if I can give it a shot.

No I have not modified or created any custom LSP files myself. I do run a 3rd party program, Land FX. I'll contact their Tech department to see if it could be in their program.

This problem only happens on our computers that have upgraded to 2012 C3D 64 Bit. We do not have any 32bit 2012's.

On a mildly related tangent: We've also had problems with running the "Civil Metric" Launch icon because it loads the Civil Metric profile instead of our company's. I've switched to using the standard "ACAD.EXE" launch from the C drive. I just tried launching the civil metric again and noticed that if I turn on the marker and magnet before exiting and using civil metric to open, they stay on. If I then relaunch the acad.exe with the metric profile still on, magnet and marker are still on. Switching to my profile they stay on. THEN if I close and reopen with acad.exe, they're gone again. Switching back to the Civil Metric profile does not turn them back on. 

OSMODE stays random the entire time. And by random, I mean every time I open and check OSMODE, it's a different number (12484, 12555, 12154, etc.).

This obviously doesn't make sense that this is happening, and I'm not very familliar with LSPs. I will try and see if I can find the problem. In the meantime if anybody else has any other places I should look to find it, let me know.

Thanks,

-A

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Temporary fix until you hear back from that support dept or AutoDESK on this issue. 

Place attached file in the support directory of Civil3D and then go to the System tab from the options command and check the box in front of "Load acad.lsp with every drawing".  Restart Civil3D and it should hold.  Let me know if you have problems.

Message 6 of 19
coopdetat

Acad.lsp works fine if the problem only happens when you open a drawing.  If OSMODE gets set to something you don't want any time during your session it helps to have a quick method to reset it.  This is my circumstance so a menu button works best for me.

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: coopdetat

True for you.  I have such settings for various osmode options:  I type the following at the command prompt for what I want at the time.

0 = none

1 = Endpoint

2 = Midpoint

3 = Endpoint and Midpoint

and so on and so on

I even have a modemacro that shows me what setting I am currently running at the lower left corner status line.

It works for me!!

Message 8 of 19
Gtuni

Has there been any "fix" for this?

We have not gone to 2012 yet, but have several operators having this same issue in 2011.

We also experience the issue going from one file to the next. As if the drafting settings are set by file not by system.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Gtuni

Gtuni, to me there is no problem.  I am using C3D 2011 and I have no issues with osnaps.  I have been running my osnap setup since AutoCAD 2000.  Problems occur if you are running third party software that changes settings to their likeing or if you cancel a lisp program half way thru and there is no error trapping to reset the osnaps to where they were previously.  I am not running any third party software.  That is why I wrote my osnap programs along with the modemacro to be able to see what I am running and change osnaps on the fly to my current needs.  The only flaw with my setup is that I can't use them transparently.  I know the osnap settings hold from drawing to drawing unlike other variables that are only for that drawing.  Sorry I don't have the answer you are looking for.  If you think this an AutoDesk problem then I would contact their support staff.  Good Luck.

Message 10 of 19
Gtuni

azrdgldr,

Thanks for the reply. I am about to rebuild a workstation, so I'll give that a try.

Message 11 of 19
RRICE1234

I am having the EXACT same issues.  OSNAPS keep reverting to some settings that I do not want or pick and the marker keeps getting turned off in the options....This has to be a 2012 bug for Civil 3D as I did not have any of these symptoms before upgrading last week.  Please get us a solution, this is getting rather troublesome.

Message 12 of 19
aberry

Unfortunately, Price, I've yet to find a solution that works. I've installed 2012 Service pack 1 and no change. However, I have found that if it's my first time opening acad for the day, my correct osnaps and markers are on. If I close the program fully any time in the day and reopen, they're gone, even if I restart the whole computer before reopening.
Message 13 of 19
RRICE1234

I found the solution.  It isn't pretty but It worked 100% of the time for all of the employees that I did this for (4 separate computers). Do a full uninstall, delete all registry values for Civil 3d 201X (please have somone who knows what they are doing do this as you can seriously mangle your machine if you delete neccessary registry values).  Then do a full re-install AND DO NOT ALLOW AUTOCAD TO MIGRATE ANYTHING (PROFILES, CUSTOM CUI, ETC.).  This I know is a major pain as you have to rebuild your CUIs, your profile, your toolbars, re-install your service packs, etc.  BUT, this fixed 99.99% of the various problems our office had been facing since we upgraded to 2012.  Do yourself a favor and do a fresh install if this is might be your problem.  30 minutes now, will save you 5-10 minutes a day of frustration and mental anguish.  Hope that helps. 

Message 14 of 19
slant

I also, was having this exact same problem on Civil 3D 2012 with Winblows 7, no third party software or lisp routines running. Totally random osmode and marker and magnet turned off every time i started Civil 3D.  Its only been a few shut-downs and restarts but simply repairing my installation in the control panel APPEARS to have fixed the issue. (just thought i'd give repair a shot, because I cant uninstall, remove all the registry keys and reinstall Civil 3D in 30 minutes). I'll remove this post later if it turns out that the issue is not actually resolved by the repair.

Message 15 of 19
slant
in reply to: slant

Well i'm back. Its the next day after Repairing my installation from control panel. The repair held thru multiple system reboots and several closes and reopens of Civil 3D 2012, but it did NOT last overnight. This has me scratching my head... Why in the WORLD would it retain it's settings thru a reboot, but not survive being shut down overnight? I dislike inexplicable behavior in my work station software. But the end result is the same. When i opened Civil 3D today, i was back to a random osmode and once again, my marker and magnet were turned off. So the installation repair doesn't work.

Message 16 of 19
Jeff_M

It sounds like something is changing your Profile in the Registry. Are you on a network monitored by IT? Is there some sort of automatic registry cleaner/updater/backup running?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 17 of 19
slant
in reply to: RRICE1234

we're on a KIND of network. Just a bunch of computers mapped together. In any case, i shut my computer off at night, so nothing is running on it while it's off....

Message 18 of 19
RRICE1234

Slant,

Ya, sorry your repair didn't work, I also tried to repair, but I ran into the same problems that you had, it worked for a time or two and then it would revert back to resetting OSNAPS and changing some profile options.  Maybe somone who is a pro with profiles can give us some better answers, but I am certain that this relates to migrating my Profile from 2011-2012.  I have decided after working on a few computers that the CUI does not really hurt anything but the older profile does.  I am thinking if you can delete any profile info in your registry and rebuild that might work (vs. a full re-install).  Good luck. 

Message 19 of 19
slant
in reply to: RRICE1234

That's one of the reasons i just tried a repair, price. This was a clean install and i didn't migrate any of my old stuff from the previous version because it has become obvious to me that there is NO forward mobility with Civil 3D. Every job i've migrated forward has gotten so glitchy as to be useless. So i did everything from scratch with this install (got a new computer). Oddly, my previous install, which i DID attempt to migrate my old setups forward with, didn't have this issue. This has patch written all over it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report