Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Previous Files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
DENNISTHIESSEN7722
345 Views, 4 Replies

Opening Previous Files

I'm having an issue opening files in a previous version after installing Civil 2013.

I originally created certain drawings in 2012, but then I installed 2013 and opened them in there.

Now when I try to open them in 2012, it tells me thats its been created in a previous version and it can not be open.

I am critical for time here so if anyone has a quick fix, that'd be amazing. Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: DENNISTHIESSEN7722

Once opened and saved in a newer version, that drawing must always be used in that newer (or even newer) version, there is NO going back with that drawing. You CAN LandXML out most C3D objects then EXPORTTOAUTOCAD which will give you a drawing with C3D objects exploded that can be opened and edited in the earlier version, then import the LandXML data.

So the 'quick fix' you seek is to just keep working in 2013 once you've opened saved the drawing in that version.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

>> [...] created certain drawings in 2012, but then I installed 2013 and opened them

And you got the warning that objects are updated then ... and answered that with OK 😉

You have touched 2 different issues now:

1. AutoCAD 2013 has a different DWG-format than 2010-2012. With plain AutoCAD you can start these drawings with AutoCAD 2013, run command _SAVEAS and set the drawing-format to DWG2010. Then you can reopen these DWG-files with AutoCAD 2012
  2. for the Civil3D objects there is no way back to old releases by DWG. So if you have stored an old drawing with Civil3D 2013 the Civil-specific objects are updated (remember: you got a messagebox with that warning info!). So using the _SAVEAS method does result in a DWG-file that can be opened with Civil3D 2012, but an alignment, a surface, any other Civil3D object is then a proxy-object (that means: not modifyable).

You have now two chances, exporting the Civil3D-content as LandXML and import this in Civil3D 2012 or you run the command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD that explodes the Civil3D-objects to plain AutoCAD geometry.

- alfred -

[EDIT] to late 😉 [/EDIT]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 5
klugb
in reply to: DENNISTHIESSEN7722

Another option is to get a backup of the file before you opened in in 2013. Assuming you have a backup system.
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 5 of 5
DENNISTHIESSEN7722
in reply to: klugb

Yes I do. But the problem is that we were in the process of moving during the last couple of weeks so the file

I was working on was in those 2 weeks. Complete goof up on my bad. Oh well, i'll just have to troop it out and work

with 2013. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report