Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened in newer version of Civil 3d

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
csevers
981 Views, 10 Replies

Opened in newer version of Civil 3d

I might just be screwed here but I figured I would see if anybody has a solution before I give in.

I've got a file made in Civil 3d 2011, I opened it in 2012. I made a small change (elevation of one polyline), then saved. Now when I go back to 2011 I get the usual message about versions. However, I cannot create a surface. I didn't have any civil 3d objects prior to my accidental 2012 save and I just want to make new ones in 2011. Am I forced to switch everybody working on the project to 2012? Am I missing something about creating surfaces in 2011, I don't remember there being much difference from 2010 and 2012?

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
thepworth
in reply to: csevers

Yup - it's updated/upgraded the drawing to 2012 and not backwards compatible.  you can go into 2012, XML export and import into 2011 if you have a saved file prior to the 2012 save.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Message 3 of 11
csevers

As I suspected. Somewhat annoying.

If AutoCad is going to give me a message saying a drawing is from a newer version (i.e. not backwards compatible), I would also like a message saying a drawing is from an earlier version of AutoCad when I open it up.

Is there at least some way to see what version of Cad a drawing was created in (other than calling the person who made it)?

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 4 of 11
csevers
in reply to: thepworth

Is the answer still the same if I literally changed nothing. Just opened the file, looked at it a minute, saved, then exited?

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 5 of 11
thepworth

sadly, yes.

all you have to do is save  - no "do you want to promote" questions.

Message 6 of 11
Neilw_05

You should have received a warning when you opened the file as shown in this screen capture. Perhaps yoiu saw it but didn't realize what it meant and moved forward.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 11
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Neilw_05

Depending on which version of windows you are running, (Win 7 and some Vista versions), I believe Win 7, depending on the configuration does saved version of files.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11130/restore-previous-versions-of-files-in-every-edition-of-windows-...

If you don't have a backup, this "might" work.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 11
manateejim

Check you autosave location, you might just get lucky.

Message 9 of 11

you can usually get to the temp location by typine "%temp%" without the quotes in windows explorer address bar and hitting enter. look for file with the extension bak and sv$ (might show as Autocad Autosave Drawing)

Look for one around the time prior to you opening it in 2012 and rename the file to have the extension .dwg

You might have to look into how to show file extensions for known file types.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 10 of 11
miked

If as you said there were no civil 3D objects in the drawing before you opened it in 2012 open the drawing again is Civil 3D 2012 and export it to Autocad 2010.

Start a new drawing with 2011 using your standard template.

Open the drawing you exported to Autocad turn on all layers and copy to the clip board using 0,0 as your base point.

Switch to the new 2011 drawing and past from the clipboard using 0,0 as your base point.

All you civil commands will work and you can create civil 3D 2011 objects.

NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil3D 2012 64x
Message 11 of 11
mathewkol

Restoring from your company's backup system is really the only option if you had a bunch of work in there.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report