Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Subassembly Composer???

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
deltacoolguy
6543 Views, 16 Replies

Open Subassembly Composer???

I hate to ask such a simple question, but for the life of me I cannot find where or how to even open the Subassembly Composer.

I installed it... I think... at least it said it installed and never gave me an error message.  Is it a stand-alone program?  Is it within Acad?

Thanks.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
mathewkol
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Start menu, All Programs, Autodesk, Subassembly Composer 2012/2013.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 17
deltacoolguy

Hmmm.  It's not there.  The program is listed as being installed when I check the "remove programs" list for the computer, but there is nothing either on the desktop or the start menu under Autodesk or as a stand-alone.

Unfortunately, the 'remove programs' list will not let drag it to the desktop and create a shortcut, either.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 17
Jeff_M

Using Windows Explorer browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Subassembly Composer 2012 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Subassembly Composer 2013, depending on version. Then locate the SubassemblyComposer.exe file, right cllck, Create Shortcut. You will be warned (if using Vista or Win7) that it can't create the shortcut there, would you like to create it on the desktop, respond Yes. You can then copy that to the start menu.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 17
deltacoolguy

I'm at a loss.

- I could not find the *.exe file

- I uninstalled the program, then reinstalled the program.  Everything on both the uninstall and the reinstall seemed to go without a hitch.

- Still nothing in the Start Menu.  Still showed up in the Uninstall Programs in Control Panel.  Still could not find the program.

- Did a search of my entire hard drive... all of them... and the *.exe file did not show up anywhere.  It still shows in the Uninstall Programs in Control Panel, however.

Yes, I am at a loss.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 17
SethHall

Hi delatcoolguy-

Try this:

1. Uninstall the SAC from the Control Panel > Prog and Feat.

2. Disable the UAC prior to the install. This can be done by opening the Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center > Change User Account Control settings and turning it to the lowest level.

3. Fully enable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and make sure that all three boxes for .NET 3.5 SP1 are checked.

4. Add the following policy for Windows Installer to the registry (or just rename the extension of the attached .txt file to .reg, and double click on the file to enter the info into the registry):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

"AlwaysInstallElevated"=dword:00000001

There is additional information about this Windows Installer policy at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367561(v=vs.85).aspx

Microsoft recommends that the policy be set back to "0" upon completion of the install maintenance so you might need to browse out to this key at the end to reset to "0".

5. From the Control Panel > PRograms and Features, run the C3D Reinstall.

6. Then launch the SAC install again, by Right click, "Run as Admin"

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 7 of 17
deltacoolguy
in reply to: SethHall

I am still at a loss.  I did everything, including the re-install, and I get the same results.

ETA:  I even tried to re-install again, without having uninstalled first, and it told me everything was configured fine.  Yet, no sign of the *exe file, or anything.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 17
augustogk

I have the same problem.

Message 9 of 17
deltacoolguy
in reply to: augustogk

@augustogk wrote:

I have the same problem.

FWIW, I never was able to resolve the 2012 problem, even with Autodesk's help.  It did load just fine with 2013, though.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 10 of 17
wes.ashworth

I have the same problem, also.  Where do you download SAC vs 2013?  I've looked all over the subscription center and can't find it.  Tried to reinstall. Never asks about SAC.

Wes

Message 11 of 17
wes.ashworth
in reply to: wes.ashworth

I found it here in the downloaded install: 

\AutoCAD_Civil_3D_2013_English_Win_64bit\x64\Components\SAC2013

Message 12 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: wes.ashworth

C3D 2013 includes the SAC, but you must specifically tell the installer to do so when installing. You need to hit the little down arrow below where it has hecked AutoCAD Civil3D 2013 (the arrow turns into an up arrow when clicked, as shown in the image below). 

C3D2013 Install.PNG

Now, I don't see an easy way to install the SAC after installing C3D2013. You may be able to browse to the location of the installer files for it on the install media. There are 2, one for the SAC the other for the Object enabler. I found them here (in my downloaded install files):

E:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_Civil3D_2013_English_Win_64bit\x64\Components\SAC2013

E:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_Civil3D_2013_English_Win_64bit\x64\Components\SSA2013_PlugIn

Hope that helps a bit!

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 17

Maybe it was only me that did this the first time, but did you actually install the 2011/2012 composer or only the support pack?

The support pack is on the site with all the object enablers but the composer is in the subscription center, so its a little harder to find.

The support pack is not the actual composer, it's only an add-in to allow custom subassemlies to be used with the corridors (if i understood that correctly)

HTH

Mick

Message 14 of 17

Installation Autodesk Subassembly Composer 2012 and 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnAYVp4EdUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FoFnaCFTo

Message 15 of 17

Installation Autodesk Subassembly Composer 2012 and 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnAYVp4EdUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FoFnaCFTo

Message 16 of 17

Its not an idiotic question. Its an idiotic setup. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, and every video tutorial I looked at on the internet magically started with it just on... good question, and thanks. your answer was how I found out.

Mike

Message 17 of 17

Very nice to hear this:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report