Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only translate certain points in the database

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
corboto
890 Views, 7 Replies

Only translate certain points in the database

Is there a way to only translate a set of points in the survey database?  My problem is I only need to translate a portion of a point text file.  My point file contains control points that I need to leave alone and other points that I need to translate to these control points.  Translating the survey database simply moves everything, unless I've overlooked something.  

The only way I know to do what I need done is to translate the entire database, export out the translated points, remove the control points from that exported file, re-import that file, and import a separate file with only the original control points.  

I hope this makes sense.  Thanks for any input.

Corbitt

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
stacy.dunn
in reply to: corboto

Short of programatically working with the database, the way you described is about the only way you can do what you want.

Stacy Dunn
Message 3 of 8
corboto
in reply to: stacy.dunn

That's what I thought.  Just checking.  Thanks for the help.  Of course, I understand why this can't be done, as it could make the database confused at some time.  I just wish I could simply move the points to a new location and have the database update based on those new coordinates.   Alas that would be too easy of a solution.

Message 4 of 8
rreid

Another method would be to isolate the points you need to move, ERASE them, then perform an UNDO (this returns them bak as Civil points only). Then move them to your destination.

Then go to your Survey database and erase those points, (I assume you are importing XYZ data), then add the points back into your database using the Points from Drawing function.

HTH

Richard W. Reid, Jr. PLS

AutoCAD - Civil 3D - Map 3D - ESRI - Google
AutoCAD Civil 3D Implementation Expert
Message 5 of 8
corboto
in reply to: rreid

That's a good idea.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
IanMcClain

This would be a good idea for the wish list: translate/rotate points by a point range.

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: IanMcClain

A better idea (IMHO)... forget the Survey Database...  Smiley Wink

Politically-incorrect, I know, but I sank tons of hours into the Survey Database before discovering I could do fine work far faster by ignoring it...

Sinc
Message 8 of 8
rreid
in reply to: IanMcClain

Another workflow I have developed actually works better and also provides a nice easy method of using GPS point data as well. Especially since a lot of surveyors will have GPS observations on state plane coords, and raw observations on an assumed coordinate system, then wanting to move the raw onto the GPS.

1. Import your GPS Data using the CIVIL import function under the Create Points toolbar or from the Insert Ribbon, Import Points from File. This will create the points as what I like to call CIVIL points.
  2. Next, import your data into the survey database using the normal import functions into Survey (i.e. Import Survey Data, Import Event, etc)
  3. Then use the Translate Survey Database tool to move the survey database onto the GPS control.
  4. To complete the process, be sure to then use the "Points From Drawing" import function within the Import Survey Data wizard to add the GPS control into the survey DB. (Make sure you then use the Insert to Drawing, from the survey DB to update the CIVIL points to SURVEY points.

AND VOILA!!!!!

Hope this helps better!!!

Richard W Reid Jr PLS

Autodesk Certified Professional

Richard W. Reid, Jr. PLS

AutoCAD - Civil 3D - Map 3D - ESRI - Google
AutoCAD Civil 3D Implementation Expert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report