Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Manhole, Two Alignments: Pipe Structure- Alignment Association for Label?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
dana.probert
2390 Views, 11 Replies

One Manhole, Two Alignments: Pipe Structure- Alignment Association for Label?

I have a structure that shows up on two profiles.

I need to label its station in profile.

I can't figure out how to make the station correct on both profiles. It is always wrong on one of them...

I've attached a pdf. Any ideas?
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: dana.probert

A little dodgy, I know, but what about making a custom label for that manhole that goes something like:

PR-SSMH-<#>
RIM=
STA
STA 0+00.00
INV. IN =
INV. IN =
INV. OUT =

It appears that you've already applied a custom label to that manhole anyway, given that it's the only one with two inlets, but I
could be wrong: I've very little experience with networks as yet.

Still, it should work, because you (almost) never have crossing manholes (i.e. two outlets), so one leg is always going to have
Station 0.0 at the intersection manhole. Just got to get the alignment names the right way around.

Hope that helps,
Trevor
Message 3 of 12
dana.probert

if you do "data from connected pipes" in your label style, you get both inverts in automatically. pretty neat-o.

yeah, i could super customize that label, but this is a template for a client and i'm not ready to teach them how to compose labels- i'd like to work out a way to get it to just "happen"

but that appears to be not happenin' 🙂

thanks for the idea..... hmmm...
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

If you call the label style, say, "Dual-Alignment Intersection MH" and explain that it's only to be used on intersections of
alignments?...

Alternatively, just including the alignment name in the label should clear up most confusion surely, especially if you're using a
data band to show the network leg's chainage: that would put Ch0.0 at the same point as the structure label says "Sta 3+54.87
Alignment #1" (or whatever).

Trevor
Message 5 of 12
dana.probert

hmm... more good ideas...

It won't always be Station Zero, though. A manhole could show up smack in the middle of two alignments.

I can reference the structure's reference alignment in the manhole label, but only the reference alignment.

I guess I can make a Profile View Label that looks like that part of the Structure label.... and use that for the station call out...

So I'd have:

1. Manhole Label Normal
2. Manhole Label Sans Station
3. Profile View Label for Stations that looks like the station portion of the manhole label. I could even through a wipeout object in there to cover up the old one (or use the 2007 textmask)

Or...

just use dtext with a textmask to cover up the label 🙂

it would be a redflag if it needed to change since there would be a label hanging over into nowhere.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

2006 or 2007?

Use a reference Object for the intersecting alignment.

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Civil 3D 2006 SP2
XP Tablet, SP2, 2GHz, 1.5G
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
Message 7 of 12
dana.probert

2006 for now...

BUT- I'll make 'em install '07 the day it arrives now that I know that!

(darn cadapult for making me do the sales track at bootcamp. I'd better nerd out this weekend on 2007. And make sure I get invited to gunslingers next year so I am not so far behind!)

(Service Packs are for WIMPS)
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I am having trouble with this.

I have gone into the label style composer for the style I am using at structure junctions. How do I get to the area to find the software language (command) related to "connected pipe stations".

Thanks,

Derek
Message 9 of 12
joedun
in reply to: Anonymous

That will work on the main line, but on the profiles of the lines coming off the "Main" line you would need to make another custom label.

"Main Line" label

STA: 4+56.23 SS LINE "A"

STA: 1+00 SS LINE "B"

MH "A3"

RIM= ELEV

"Secondary Line"

STA: 1+00 SS LINE "B"

STA: 4+56.23 SS LINE "A"

MH "A3"

RIM=ELEV

It would be nice if you could reference the "connecting pipe start station" in the structure label. Or have two alignment references in one label style.

Message 10 of 12
joedun
in reply to: joedun

I also do a similar label in plan view that I have had to chose one dynamic function over another.

"Main Line"

MH "A3"

SS LINE "A" STA: 4+56.25

SS LINE "B" STA: 1+00

"Secondary Line"

MH "A3"

SS LINE "B" STA: 1+00

SS LINE "A" STA: 4+56.25

Message 11 of 12
joedun
in reply to: joedun

never mind I found it! reference alignment text. Didn't see this before... doooh!

Message 12 of 12
Joe-Bouza

I would try a separate lable style for that structure with a ref component to get the alignment station and offset

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report