Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object layer settings, current layer?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jbear0000
772 Views, 7 Replies

Object layer settings, current layer?

I am using C3D 2008, SP2

I am trying to change some default layer settings. I go to: Toolspace -> Settings tab -> Right click the drawing name -> Edit drawing settings -> Object layers tab. There I can set the default layers that objects are created on. I want to set "General Note Label" and "General Segment Label" to be created on what ever layer is current. Is this possible?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kcobabe
in reply to: jbear0000

Nope, so this is what you do.

Just like in older version of AutoCAD, layer 0 is a special layer, but it works a little different in C3D.

So what you do is change the layer of the label style to 0 and everything to byblock. this allows the entire note to take on the properties of the layer you change it to after the note is added.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 8
jbear0000

I do have the label style layer set to 0, but I don't have everything set to byblock. Once the label is created and I change it's layer it does taken on the properties of the layer it is changed to. I was just looking for a quick easy way to get the labels onto the layers they should be on.
Message 4 of 8
kcobabe

Do you have the label setup to go on layer 0 as well? 0 can use byblock and bylayer to set it on the layer the object is place on however, I believe the problem is when you drag it the leader goes on 0 (white or whatever you set 0 to).

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 8
jbear0000

Ya, the label is set to go to layer 0 in both the individual label style and the object layer settings. I tried setting everything to byblock, but it still ends up on layer 0 with all the properties of layer 0. I can change it to another layer and it works fine, but I was just hoping for something more automatic than that because we have some people that are not all that great with AutoCAD and I am trying to make things as easy for them as I can.
Message 6 of 8
kcobabe

About the only way around this is to create a child of the main style for each layer you would want it on. Makes for a lot of general note styles so I just do it and hope that those doing the labeling will know which to set it on. However, I do make them go to a general note layer (i.e. C-ANNO-TEXT), but having everything on byblock and/or layer 0 in the actual style will allow the user to change them if needed.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I have found that the easiest way is to use the mentioned "0" layer, then
use the ET toolbar button, "Change to Current Layer".

Bill

wrote in message news:5815218@discussion.autodesk.com...
About the only way around this is to create a child of the main style for
each layer you would want it on. Makes for a lot of general note styles so
I just do it and hope that those doing the labeling will know which to set
it on. However, I do make them go to a general note layer (i.e.
C-ANNO-TEXT), but having everything on byblock and/or layer 0 in the actual
style will allow the user to change them if needed.
Message 8 of 8
IanMcClain

I like your "use current" layer suggestion.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report