Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLE object (Excel) only showing x amount of lines

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
50402 Views, 15 Replies

OLE object (Excel) only showing x amount of lines

I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the answer here
anymore.

I am linking an ole object (excel spreadsheet) and I am only getting the
first 13 rows of 25.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

OLE has it's limitations!

OLE Size is limited to 'a page worth' meaning large spreadsheets lose rows
and columns.
Linked OLE won't grow/shrink as you add/delete rows and columns.
Plotting problems in which OLE appears 'grainy', 'fuzzy', etc.
If the drawing is plotted rotated, the OLE does not rotate.
Drawings with embedded OLE objects make huge multi-megabyte files.
OLE Objects can 'bleed through' multiple layouts in AutoCAD, showing up in
places where they don't belong.
Recipients of your drawings (especially on other CAD systems) may have
problems with the OLE representation.

--

Murph
http://map3d.wordpress.com/

"Jason" wrote in message
news:6347902@discussion.autodesk.com...
I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the answer here
anymore.

I am linking an ole object (excel spreadsheet) and I am only getting the
first 13 rows of 25.
Message 3 of 16
sfore

See pic. Mine has 120 rows and 28 columns. I had issues when trying to bring it in thru Insert/OLE Object. So what I did was opened Excel, clicked and dragged what I wanted, right-clicked copy. Then I went to Edit/Paste Special in cad. The OLE dialog box appeared and I toggled 'paste link' and brought it in paperspace and did some resizing. It's not embedded, it's still linked so any changed made to the excel file will reflect in the excel sheet in cad. If I would've added anymore rows to it, I would've had to separate it into 2 sheets. The text in the OLE was equivelent to a .08 text size or just shy. It was more like a .07, but you could still read it. The contractor may not like it though.

Shawn
Message 4 of 16
roarznz

Hi, I encountered this problem yesterday with a spreadsheet and I may have a solution.

The issue seems to be with the "zoom" of the OLE object. When you create the OLE, it shows only a certain area of cells and it won't let you change the viewed area (remember it's by area, not by the amount of cells).

I've found that this "zoom area" is set after the first time you edit the OLE. When you first edit the OLE, it automatically sets a "zoom area" focussed only on the cells which have been edited.

1) decide the size that you want the table to be (I did it in mm)

2) decide how many columns and how many rows you want

3) decide the size of the columns and rows in autocad (I did it in mm)

These first 3 steps are the hardest. I cheated by creating an autocad table and using that to decide my dimensions

4) creat a new OLE microsoft excell worksheet (important: do not close or save the excell window until step 😎

5) If it's not open already, Open the OLE to edit it. (Right click on the OLE, then OLE, then open)

6) put an "x" in the top left cell and one in the bottom right cell based on the number of columns and rows you decided on in step 2. (the OLE "zoom area" will be set around these two "x")

7) Adjust the columns and rows to the heights and widths you chose in step 3

😎 save and close the OLE Excell window

Now, the OLE in AutoCad should show the two cells containing "x" in each corner, but its geometry will be all messed up.

9) in Autocad select the OLE and open it's properties. Set the "lock aspect" to NO and enter the height and width into the properties. Then set "lock aspect" back to YES

11) copy the table and delete the original (this sets its size percentages back to 100% x 100% so that it's nice and tidy 🙂

Here's my one:

I wanted a table 780mm wide by 500mm high with 38 columns and 7 rows.

All columns 20mm wide except the 1st column which is 40mm wide. (which adds up to 780mm wide)

Row 1 = 35mm high, Row 2 = 55mm, Rows 3-5 = 60mm, Rows 6-7 = 115mm (which adds up to 500mm high)

Following the steps above, i've attached a picture of what it looks like

Message 5 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Paste Link as acad entities and its a beautiful autocad table

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the list, Murph

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Joe-Bouza

When they come to me in our office and turn them away stating "I do not support OLE"

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: roarznz

Thank you for spelling out exactly how to "teach" OLE how many rows & columns to show from the spreadsheet. Really appreciate it!

--Linda

Message 9 of 16
TerryDotson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

... turn them away stating "I do not support OLE"

My statement is "I would use a crayon before I would use OLE"

Message 10 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: TerryDotson

I agree, I have had multiple problems in the past with Ole documents rotating on plots etc.

I would just use Pastespec as Autocad objects then check link and get a nice table linked to the excel sheet.

If you open the excel sheet and create a named selection, select it and copy you can use this to link correctly in autocad, when the named selection range updates in excel it will update in autocad.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 11 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Me too.
And often I I by pass excel all together. Really, with copy, fill and formula in acad tables sometimes I wonder why use excel at all?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
lossbit

what i am do is, open the ole and then re select and copy, then paste back in the dwg.

simple as that.

regards,

EZ

Message 13 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: lossbit

Not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
igor.lshz

1. open OLE
  2. make  desired changes
  3. choose area should be presented
  4. ctrl+C
  5. return to drawing
  6. ctrl+V
Message 15 of 16
bforr

how nice that is. Thanks.
Message 16 of 16
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bforr

Usually the math I do is so simple I may even forego Excel and do the calcs right in the acad table

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report