Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northings and Eastings (or Points) from Profile

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Postmaster_G
3371 Views, 7 Replies

Northings and Eastings (or Points) from Profile

Hello!

So here is what I need to do.  I am working on a pipeline profile.  I have survey information (existing surface) and the horizontal alignment.  I have created an existing surface, a pipe alignment, and a surface profile/profile view.

In the profile view, it only showed the existing surface.  Now I have taken the design information of the pipeline and drawn in the vertical alignment on the profile view.

I need a surveyor to go out and shoot the top of pipe at high points, low points, and select points in between.

I have placed a pvi for each of these locations.

I need to know how to either spit out a table of these points that will include northings and eastings or create cogo points from the pvis so that i can create a table from the points that will include northings and eastings.

Thank you in advance for your help as I DO NOT want to have to do a manual takeoff (seeing as I have this powerful tool in my hands).

Cheers

Robot Happy

-Meow
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: Postmaster_G

"I have placed a pvi for each of these locations."

Is there a corresponding Alignment PI for each PVI?

"I need to know how to either spit out a table of these points that will include northings and eastings or create cogo points from the pvis so that i can create a table from the points that will include northings and eastings."

The Alignment Table will be a good option if there are Horiz. PI's @ the PVI's.

First create Segment Labels and then Create the Tables.

Depending on what information you want shown in the table, the Table Styles may need some work.

Cogo Points option will also work as a Point Table of Cogo Points showing Northing/Eastings can be shown in a Point Table.

If your looking to get PI info in NE format from a profile into a Table, I'm unsure if that's possible.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
Jay_B

Thinking your best option may be to use a Report and create a table from the report.

Prospector>Toolbox>Profile>Incremental Station Elevation Difference Report

I'm sure this sounds strange but when comparing the various report options this is the only one I'm seeing that will allow for filtering out everything except the PVI's and will output the Sta. N, E, Elev., El of 2 comparison profiles and the Elevation difference for them.

Run the report and "Select All">Copy in browser>Paste to Excel>delete any additional unwanted columns.

Link the Table into a drawing.

After "Execute" This report dialog has 4 checkboxes on it,

Regular Interval (checked)

Horizontal Tangent Points (unchecked)

Vertical Tangent Points (checked)

Existing Ground Points (unchecked)

The key to filtering out "Station Interval" option is to enter the End Station of your Alignment/Profile for the "station interval" value.

This is a non-dynamic solution and would need to be recreated as your design changes. (see attached)

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 4 of 8
troma

You can create a feature line from your profile.  This can be created so it is dynamically linked.  It follows the alignment in plan and is placed at the profile elevations.  Look for the option 'Create Feature Line from Alignment' under the FL button on the ribbon.

Then you can possibly create cogo points along the FL. I'm not so sure about this part.  You might have to explode it to a 3d polyline.  I've never tried it, but I know there is a command to place cogo points along a polyline.  It might work straight on the FL with no explosion required.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 8
Jay_B

Create Cogo Points at the "Profile Geometry Points" along the alignment.

Home Tab>Points>Create Points-Alignments>Profile Geometry Points>

Then the Point Table option will work.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 8
Postmaster_G
in reply to: Jay_B

Thank you for your advice!!!

I went with Jay's solution to use the Incremental Station Elevation Difference report.

It worked well.  Anywhere I had a PVI, it will report the station, northing, easting, elevation, and difference in elevation.

All I really needed was the station and northing/easting because the surveyor is going to go out and survey the top of my pipe and give me the asbuilt elevations.

This has saved me a lot of time.

Also, I bet using the point method would work great too! Perhaps it would be able to output the report so that I wont have to open excel and delete the elevations and other data I dont need (but to be realistic, I usually like to have excel style control of my data tables).

This might be better for a new topic, but how can I change the report output style?

I like to have my stationing in the format 0+00.00 [seems to be common amongst the type of work that I do though I know it is not conventional].  The report outputs the stationing as 0+000.00.

Is there a way to change that? Looking under edit report settings, I found settings to change this but it doesn't seem to help.

EDIT:

So in the report settings, I found where you can change client and personal info etc...

It was in the drawing settings under ambient settings where I needed to change the stationing.  I set the delimiter to be 0+00 instead of 0+000.

Worked like a charm!  Thank you all 🙂

-Meow
Message 7 of 8
troma

Jay's last reply was better than mine, since it skipped the FL and went straight to cogo points.

As for the + location, have a look here:

Toolspace>Settings> right-click on drawing name > Edit drawing settings > Ambient Settings > Station > Station Delimiter Position.

I don't do reports much, but that's the first place I'd check.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 8
Jay_B

No problem, glad to help, the Reports stationing format setting can be set here.

(Actually there are separate sta. format options per category, gotta love the rabbit holes of C3D huh?)

sta.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report