Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northing Easting Grid lines

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
steve.mccoy01
5932 Views, 18 Replies

Northing Easting Grid lines

Does anyone know a way to create NE grid lines or ticks and labels around the perimeter of a viewport.  I found a VBA program online, but I'm using 2011 and it uses .net.  Is there a way to convert VBA to .net?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
civilspace
in reply to: steve.mccoy01

Not sure - maybe post that link you found to the VBA version for other's reference.  Might help someone remember what you're after too.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 3 of 19
mathewkol

Map has this command.

MAPLAYOUTREFERENCESYSTEM

That does a nice job.  Unfortunately I can't get it to work with Civil 3D.  maybe you can.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 19
civilspace
in reply to: mathewkol

Wow - didn't notice they slipped that in there.  It works great in Civil 3D - you just need to assign a coordinate system (through the map dialog) to the drawing.  Wow - that's a huge feature we've been waiting forever for.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 5 of 19
Murph_Map
in reply to: civilspace

That's been on the wish list for years. : )

@civilIandy wrote:

Wow - didn't notice they slipped that in there.  It works great in Civil 3D - you just need to assign a coordinate system (through the map dialog) to the drawing.  Wow - that's a huge feature we've been waiting forever for.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 19
civilspace
in reply to: Murph_Map

I haven't monkeyed with it yet - but is there a way to edit the grid style similar to Civil3D styles?  The two styles I saw looked good, but the ESRI-style variety and customization would be great.

Literally years and years we've asked for this, I remember requesting it back in 99/2000....   I think I'm going to take my family out to celebrate over dinner.

Regards,
Anthony
Message 7 of 19
steve.mccoy01
in reply to: civilspace

That's almost exactly what I was looking for, but can I create the grid and labels for a local coordinate system and in feet?

Message 8 of 19
Murph_Map

That's the new wish list item. ;  )

@steve.mccoy1 wrote:

That's almost exactly what I was looking for, but can I create the grid and labels for a local coordinate system and in feet?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 19
MikeEvansUK

As a workaround you can mimic a survey grid using Cogo points.

Create a Point style which has the easting and northing added at right angles to each other then create a dummy surface to enclose the whole area with a bit either side.

From the create points toolbar choose to create points on grid, select the start grid position, the upper right corner and assign the styles to the points and whalla you have a grid made. Export them to a new drawing and there's your survey grid which will update text size etc.

Course this will only produce grids with crosses not continuous lines and at a set interval so it would be nice to have a custom grid avaliable in Map.

How does the Survey do it? I can't seem to find grid production in the help file.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 10 of 19
GZE
Advocate

There are tons of free lisp routines that can do that try this one, works great

Humphrey GZE
Civil 3D 2013 64bit SP1
Elitebook 8540w
Core i7 2.8GHz, 8Gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880
160Gb SSD
Message 11 of 19
neilyj666

This is great - it'll save me loads of time manually lining up grids in modelspace/viewports but it only seems  to do crosses for the grids. As I am not familiar with LISP how can the code be amended to allow full grids???

Thanks

Neil

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 12 of 19
redli72
in reply to: GZE

this lisp does the same job in paper space

Message 13 of 19
nikoue

this routine create grid in model space. have you another to draw the grid in layout

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 14 of 19
nikoue
in reply to: neilyj666

Sorry the CVP work great.  But does anyone know a similar routine in whitch i can contron the size of the grid?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 15 of 19
neilyj666
in reply to: nikoue

Solved - use the Drawing Frame Grid To Viewport tool in the UKIE Country Kit (looks like its based on the cvp.lsp routine anyway) but it works just fine

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 16 of 19
steve.mccoy01

Where can I find the Drawing Frame Grid To Viewport tool?  How do I load the UKIE Country Kit?

Message 17 of 19
Jeff_M

@steve.mccoy1 wrote:

Where can I find the Drawing Frame Grid To Viewport tool?  How do I load the UKIE Country Kit?

Add/Remove Programs, Select C3D 2011 (not sure about earlier versions), Add/Remove Features, then you will have the option to install a Country Kit, find the one for UKIE (United Kingdom and Ireland), and install it.

Once installed, start C3D (need not be the new shortcut), the UKIE additional content will now be in the Toolbox under UK and Ireland reports. The Grid tool is under Additional Tools.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 18 of 19
enalt_cet
in reply to: redli72

This LISP is awesome! However though, is it possible to have these coordinate be associated with quadrant direction and units shown? Like let's say, N. 123m or E. 123m?
Tlane

C3D 2012, C3D 2013
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Message 19 of 19
BANI_INDICA

awesome routine, can you give some idea to increse the size of the grid/ cross lines inbetween , is there possibility to display the northing easting values on those ticks also .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report