Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No shortcut floder

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
452 Views, 9 Replies

No shortcut floder

Is anyone else using '09 having trouble setting up the data shortcuts folder? I set the folder and try to create a data shortcut and I get this error message.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You've set the working folder, but have you defined a shortcut folder
(aka Project) within it? You have to do both.

HTH
--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
The Site: www.eng-eff.com
The Blog: www.civil3d.com
The Book: www.masteringcivil3d.com
C3D 08SP2/09 Mac Book Pro, XP SP2, 4GB
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Ok got it, I was only half way there. It looks like to me that C3D wants to lock the working folder to one location and have all the data shortcut folders under that, which is a problem for us. I thought I could just set a separate working folder in each drawing, but it always reverts to the last one set and doesn't save the path.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

I am with you that the folder should be stored into the dwg's memory and loaded per drawing.

As I mentioned in a comment in the http://www.civil3d.com/2008/04/data-shortcuts-in-civil3d-2009/ blog that this "is bound to cause the biggest headache of implementing this new system of working with Data Shortcuts".

However, currently the path's for both the working folder and DS folder are loading into C3D's memory when the app begins and stays set irregardless of which drawings are open.

Joshua Modglin
Engineered Efficiency, Inc.
Web: http://www.eng-eff.com
Blog: http://www.civil3d.com
Message 5 of 10
petrocat

THis method actually works well for us. We set the working folder to a client folder. Then all the projects folders under that client folder just need a subfolder called "_Shortcuts" to show up in the data shortcut folder list. This is very similar to the way LDT did things.
But, I'll agree with Josh's comment that it would be nicer if opening a drawing would redirect the data shortcuts automatically.
This is not as big a big hassle as it could be since we can now label through Xrefs.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

We didn't use the LDD/LDT series, we came from Eagle Point.

There are several problems I have the way it is setup. One is that we have each section under the project # (see attachment), so I need the data shortcuts in a different folder for each project and not one "working Folder" location. This works fine except that it doesn't follow the DWG and always shows the last place I set the working folder. This is a real pain when you are working on several projects, and it is really misleading when you are in proj "A" and it's showing the shortcuts for proj "B".
Message 7 of 10
Nikki101

Did you guys ever figure this out?  I am now using C3D 2013 and still suffering from this issue....

Message 8 of 10
mathewkol

It still works the same way, with a few improvements such as associating multiple files to a single project.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 10
Nikki101
in reply to: mathewkol

Sorry, I am fairly new to data referencing....  Are you saying that if I have mulitple jobs that all use thier own data shortcuts which are located in each jobs' digital file on our server , I have to reset the working folders everytime I have to do work on these files?

Message 10 of 10
ccoles
in reply to: Nikki101

We've been using data shortcuts for a while. What we do is set up a working file for each client and have separate project folders under each working file. One of the nice things that Civil 3D does now as an improvement is to allow you to associate the drawing to a particular project folder. Once associated, the working file and project folder settings are automatically changed in data shortcuts to match. This saves a lot of time and aggravation. You will notice on the Civil 3D top border that the project name will appear in brackets next to the file name once associated.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report