Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response after selecting Create Profile View when creating alignment

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
normans
622 Views, 6 Replies

No response after selecting Create Profile View when creating alignment

Having a rough time with Pipe Networks! I am working an example from the Mastering C3D book (P. 371) as in the following steps:

1.Clicked SS structure(16)

2.Selected Create Alignment from Network on ribbon

3.Selected last structure(18), hit Enter

4.Changed options as needed in Create Align from Network - Create Profile and Profile View check box: Selected

5.Changed options and clicked Create Profile View

At this point the program pauses, then a dialog box trys to partially fill the screen but is all white then fades away as fast as it appeared and I'm stuck with a paperweight that beeps at me everytime I click the mouse, no panning or zooming response at this time. The command line is prompting me for the profile origin. I can switch to other apps and bring up TM and when I attempt to end C3D then it tells me that it can't because waiting for response. I can then cancel the prompt to save the drawing and C3D exits the active command and control is returned.

Sorry for the long winded recount of my experience, just felt like taking my frustration out on my keyboard. I'll post the drawing if anyone is interested. Thanks again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwatq0bbd7q34q0/Pipes-Excercise3.dwg?v=0mwng

Civil 3D 2015 SP 2, 64 bit
Dell Precision T5600, 16 GB
Win 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: normans

It seems to work ok following your steps for me but one of my steps was not on your list.

I didn't see where you selected a surface when in the create profile dialog box? I chose EG surface.

Civil 3d SP1 used.

pntest.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
normans
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay - Thanks for looking at that. Did you get the flash of a dialog box after clicking Create Profile View?

I did leave the surface selection out - was supposed to select EG and FG Corridor. I've included an excerpt of the steps.

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 4 of 7
normans

I've been playing around and am wondering that one would need to select SS17 in between 16 & 18.

When I try that it works, but if I only select 16 then 18 as instructed is when I get the freeze up.  Maybe a typo in the book? I do still get the flash of a dialog before picking the profile origin though. Wierd!

Thanks again.

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 5 of 7
normans

I take that back - I can't get it to work consistently in order to figure out what's goin on. I think it is something in the dwg though. I'll have to mess with it when I have more time and report back.

Sometimes when things like this happen you learn more than if everything went smooth, but it sure can be frustrating!

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 6 of 7
Jay_B

Tried again with updated instructions and no pfl  dialog flash selecting struc. 16 then 18 as instructed.

Works as shouldd from what I can tell here. See attached.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 7
normans

I am back to this point again. This time I have created a pipe network and am now creating an alignment and profile from that network. I follow the steps outlined in help file and when I get to "Select profile view origin" C3D freezes. I can invoke the Task Manager and choose to end C3D, then cancel when prompted to save file and control is returned. But no alignment or profile is created, of course. Any suggestions?

Actually in Prospector there are aligments in the misc category from multiple tries but no profiles associated with them.

Intel Xeon @ 2.0 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report