Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Point Number

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
489 Views, 9 Replies

Next Point Number

If I wish to create a series of points sequenced from 110 to 152 then 250 to 356 and then perhaps 7000 to 7154 how can this be done without changing the parent setting all of the time.

It appears that this function is locked at all levels including the parent which does strangely work. %$@#

Is this a software problem or a setting somewhere that I hav'nt found.

P.S The sequence points from function appears not to function.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Could be wrong, but it appears to me that the control for the next point number is set in Settings|Points|right-click --> Edit Feature Settings|Point Identity. Why it's only there and locked everywhere else is beyond my comprehension.

Also, regarding the sequencing points, are you importing these points? Is your Create Points command set up to ignore the supplied points? (See screenshot.) I've never tried to do it, so I'm only shooting from the hip.

HTH,
Trevor
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I am not trying to import points. I am trying to create a number of sequences for the purposes of defining civil construction setouts ie. Sewer is points 1000-1111, Stormwater are 2000-2222 Lots are 5000-5555 etc.

I was hoping in vain that the sequencing of points would override the next point number.

It appears to me that the create points function is unduly complicated. Either you are creating a sequential series or you are not and if you are all you need is a start point. Its a little disappointing as the concept of creating points with point numbers has been around for nearly 20years or so. There is no need to re-invent this concept.

Thanks for the reply

Kind Regards
Bob the Surveyor
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Bob, it seemed odd to me too, so I did a little digging and came across a variable I hadn't known about before: when you say the point sequencing doesn't work, have you had the "If Point Number Need To Be Assigned" variable in the Create Points dialog set to "Sequence from"? (See screenshot.)

I only bring it up because I hadn't seen it before.

Trevor
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Yeah mate, I have tried that.

I think the problem is that it's an Autodeskism.

Kind Regards
Bob the Surveyor
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I have never understood why there is a dsitinct point attribute called a point name. Surely point numbers are simply a subset of point names? It would be far easier to organize points in a job if it was possible to allocate alphanumeric point ID’s to points. Does anyone use point names in addition to the point numbers at all?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

The DoT where I used to live coded everything based on an alphanumeric
coding system and thus used point names exclusivley. Point number was of no
consequence to them.
Nick
wrote in message news:5443432@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have never understood why there is a dsitinct point attribute called a
point name. Surely point numbers are simply a subset of point names? It
would be far easier to organize points in a job if it was possible to
allocate alphanumeric point ID's to points. Does anyone use point names in
addition to the point numbers at all?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Well, Bob, I just successfully sequenced points from a text file. Going on how easy it was, I guess that this isn't exactly what you're referring to.

You are aware, I take it, that you can renumber the existing points by adding a factor, e.g. 5000. That might be of use to you...

Trevor
Message 9 of 10
Sinc

>>Could be wrong, but it appears to me that the control for the next point number is set in Settings|Points|right-click --> Edit Feature Settings|Point Identity. Why it's only there and locked everywhere else is beyond my comprehension.

I agree whole-heartedly. We should at least be able to change this value in the Create Points dialog. At first, we thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to change the next point number, because it was so well-hidden. Now that we know where to change it, it's not so bad, but I'm baffled as to why they removed the ability to change the next point number in the Create Points dialog. That's by far the most-useful place for it.
Sinc
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

On still has to create point numbers parallel to point names to get the system to store points. Point names are only lowercase. Just a bunch of silly little rules invented by a non-surveyor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report