Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer systems, XPS or Precision...

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
7149 Views, 12 Replies

New computer systems, XPS or Precision...

We are looing at updating some more of our computers.  For the past few years we have gone wtih Dell Precision workstations.  I am wondering if I can get more bang for my buck by going to a XPS system though Dell.  (we always purchase through dell, so that is the only variable that has to stay the same)

Here are a couple of machines that I am looking at.  It seems that I can get much more from an XPS system than the precision.  The concert that I have is on the video card.  With the one listed with the XPS sytem be alright with Civil 3D?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

1:  Dell XPS 9100

PROCESSORSIntel® Core™i7-960 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 3.20GHz)edit
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, Englishedit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosisedit
MEMORY12GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMsedit
MONITORNo Monitoredit
VIDEO CARDATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5edit
HARD DRIVE1.5TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200 RPM, 32MB Cache HDDedit
OPTICAL DRIVESingle Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capabilityedit
OFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Professional 2010edit
SECURITY SOFTWAREMcAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Monthsedit
SPEAKERSDell AX210 Stereo Speakersedit
KEYBOARDDell Consumer Multimedia Keyboardedit
MOUSEDell Laser Mouseedit
SOUND CARDTHX® TruStudio PC™edit
MODEMNo Dial Up Modem Option

2: Precision T5500 Workstation

BASEDell Precision T5500 Workstationedit
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, Englishedit
PROCESSORSQuad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5630, 2.53GHz,12M L3, 5.86GT/s, turboedit
OFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Professional 2010 with Adobe Acrobat STD, Englishedit
SERVICES & WARRANTY3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Serviceedit
POWER SUPPLYPrecision T5500 Power Supply, C2 Motherboardedit
MEMORY4GB, DDR3 Memory,1333MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)edit
CHASSIS CONFIGURATIONMini-Tower Chassis Configurationedit
VIDEO CARD512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVIedit
RAID CONFIGURATIONC1 All SATA or SSD drives, Non-RAID, 1 drive total configurationedit
HARD DRIVE INTERNAL CONTROLLERIntegrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controlleredit
HARD DRIVE320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache™edit
OPTICAL DRIVE16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™/Roxio Creator™, No Mediaedit
MONITORNo Monitoredit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READERInternal 19:1 USB Media Card Readeredit
SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONSRecovery Media for Cyberlink Power DVD™ and Roxio Creator Dell Edition for DVD+/-RWedit
SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONSRecovery Media for Genuine Windows® 7 Professional,64bit,Multiple Languageedit
SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONSResource DVD - contains Diagnostics and Drivers
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Whats the cost difference?

I noticed the T5500 comes with Office software - Do you need it?  Do you need the speakers?

Can you find out who makes the hard drives?  Western digital Velociraptors are going to be the "best available", and Seagates are not "if but when" they will fail.  (Have that from a guy who makes hard drive assy equipment).

Reid

Message 3 of 13
rl_jackson

If your working in a network enviroment the HD will have little effect on performace within the drawing. But will affect the boot performance and startup of C3D.

I have a SSD, and store all project data on a 1TB Drive, and the performace is controlled by the second drive, so I would expect the same in a network.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
peterfunkautodesk

The first machine has the following going for it over the second:

1. Faster clock speed. Civil 3D / AutoCAD can't really make use of 4 cores so the faster the speed of a single core, the better

2. The first machine has 12 gig of ram and the second only has 4. WIth W7x64 you can make use of all the ram on the machine, so more is better.

The payoff for the other items is far less than these two. The other most important factor is the OS and in both cases you have the best one.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 13
neilyj666

I have a T5500 with 8Gb Ram and a 1GB video card and it runs fine - much depends on what you use C3D for and the size of your projects/corridors/gradings as well as what you have displayed on screen at any time...pay your money and take your choice ultimatelySmiley Happy

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Right now my current machine is a T5500 w/ 4gb of memory.  I feel that I could use a little more power, but it does run very well.

We usualy don't have extremely large coridors, but we do a large amount of Lidar Modeling (base ground surface) and use photos (large .sid and .tif files) quite often.  Some of our gradings can get kind of large, but my current machine has handled it so far.

With them being at the same price point, I feel that the XPS is a better system.  Should I be worried that the graphics card is not listed on the on the Graphics Hardware list?  It is quite a bit more $ to get the same speed of a machine with the Precision T5500.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

All of the machines that I get have to have the full office software on them.  We are a small firm, and the draftsmen/designers get to do some of everything.

I think I will order the XPS machines, unless I find other info out about that video card.  I have a week or so before I'm going to order, will give me some more research time.

Message 8 of 13
justin.ziemba

Peter pointed out the big difference: 4gb vs 12gb.  The i7 is obviously faster, but the Xeon is no slouch either.  

Do you have the option to omit the Radeon and purchase something seperately?  It is not listed on the Graphics Hardware List and has not been tested by Autodesk.

I just wrote this yesterday for another customer - you may find some of this info helpful:

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/02/time-to-build-a-new-computer.html

Justin Ziemba
Manager, Customer Support Services

Message 9 of 13
Sinc

For the graphics card, I haven't tried any of the HD 5800 series.  But we've seen quite good results from the nVidia GeForce 400 series, even though they are not yet on Autodesk's list.

Sinc
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: justin.ziemba

Those are just a couple systems that I put together on the Dell Website.  I will eventually call them with the order.  I like the added speed, more memory, etc of the XPS system.  The video card has me 2nd guessing, and I will see if I can switch it out for something else when I talk with them.  No other options on the web. 

That article has some very good insights in it.  We use our machines for 3 years and then purchase new.  We have been in this rotation for the last 11 years and it has worked well for us.  We have only been using Civil 3d for the past year.  It definently take some horsepower to run.

What would be the minimum memory of the video card that I should look for?  We don't do any renderings, but use photos all the time.

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Another questions would be the HD.  Everything that we do is stored on our file server.  Would I benefit from trying to get a SSD drive? Should I just get the fastest possible?

Message 12 of 13
Sinc

An SSD is most noticeable in that it speeds up system boot time and application load times.  It doesn't so much affect the performance of C3D if your drawings are on a remote server, but it makes it start up faster.

Sinc
Message 13 of 13
gccdaemon
in reply to: Sinc

Go with the XPS. It's a mid tier I7 chip and 3 times the ram, plus the ram is tripple channel. I'm running a beefed up T3500 as you can see from my stats below. Also, the XPS MOBO's are better for upgrades than workstations. Try running tripple 1 gig ATI firepro's....sweeeeeet...lol. Or better yet build your own. Grab a dual proc I7 MOBO and let it fly, or better yet wait a couple months for intels new chip to hit the streets.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report