Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trimble Nomad, help downloading survey

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
GreeneSWCD
1964 Views, 7 Replies

New Trimble Nomad, help downloading survey

We just started using a new Trimble Nomad data collector with a RTK system.  I'm on a government computer with ActivSync 4.2.  The nomad won't connect, and I have recently found in the Nomad that it requires AS 4.5.  Getting an updated version of my AS from ITS may be a while, so what is the work around?  I have two surveys to download as quickly as possible.  I'd like to see a surface or two before we get any more data, and the rains are coming!  I'm using 2011 C3D right now. 

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: GreeneSWCD

@GreeneSWCD wrote:

We just started using a new Trimble Nomad data collector with a RTK system.  I'm on a government computer with ActivSync 4.2.  The nomad won't connect, and I have recently found in the Nomad that it requires AS 4.5.  Getting an updated version of my AS from ITS may be a while, so what is the work around?  I have two surveys to download as quickly as possible.  I'd like to see a surface or two before we get any more data, and the rains are coming!  I'm using 2011 C3D right now. 

Thanks! 

From one gov't employee to another, do what we do while waiting on the IT guy. bring in your laptop from home connect to the device and burn the files to a DVD/CD then use that on the workstation.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: Murph_Map

That's awesome!  But, I need these files today, and my laptop is at home.  😉  There isn't a new version of ActivSync in the entire building.  haha 

Message 4 of 8
IanMcClain

Well, it's not really an autodesk problem, but a communications problem. I use Rangers, which are very similar to Nomads and two work arounds come to mind. You could send the job/data files via bluetooth if your computer has it, or you could stick a usb flash drive into the USB port on your nomad and transfer it that way.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 8
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: IanMcClain

If I could plug in a usb Flash Drive into the Nomad and load the files on it, why wouldn't I be able to just dump the files straight to my computer via usb instead?  Is this possible?

Message 6 of 8
IanMcClain

Your PC runs windows and the nomad runs windows mobile. ActiveSync acts as the translator between the two. Each can read/write data from/to a formated flash drive. I don't know any more details than that, I just know ActiveSync is needed so your PC can recognize and talk to the nomad. Once the two have established connection via ActiveSync the nomad will show up under your computer like an external disc drive with the label "mobile device".

Also, FYI windows 7 comes with mobile device center built in, which replaces ActiveSync, making it more of a plug-and-play.

Ian McClain
Message 7 of 8
GreeneSWCD

My new machine is now up and running with Win7 on it.  I've downloaded Windows Mobile Device Center, and it's not picking up my Nomad.  It will sync with my smart phone just fine, so I know it's not a Computer problem.  Does Trimble have a forum?  I don't see it on thier site.  Or, is there a more survey based forum somewhere else that can help with this issue? 

Message 8 of 8
IanMcClain

I didn't think of it before, but there is a check box under the Connection Settings in both ActiveSync and Mobile Device Center called "Allow USB connections". If you are using a USB cable make sure that box is checked. If that isn't the issue I'd contact your equipment dealer or try the trimble web page for a support number.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report