Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network traffic for section view move?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
386 Views, 6 Replies

Network traffic for section view move?

I'm still having performance issues in 2012. Thought that going 64bit 8gb ram would help. Nope. Thought the new server would help. Nope. It seems like anytime I do anything in C3D, network traffic is generated, and I'm dead in the water until the traffic terminates. Obviously, there is a networking issue, for which I would appreciate any and all tips, or just plain opinions on how to remedy.

See attached to the network traffic generated with moving a section view twice. While on the "plateau", I have a busy cursor. As soon as the traffic drops down, I can start working again. Why would moving a section view generate network traffic?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I forgot to note that I'm working across a WAN.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

It appears that Toolspace is the culprit. The question still stands......

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

In a moment of frustration, I decided the bring this back up top in case there is some new blood out there that has an idea why I'm having this problem, along with others working across our WAN.

We are going to be testing Vault as a workaround for this problem. Just what I need, something else to worry about, but that is the only solution that has been offered by our reseller. Of course, it means more money for them, so why not offer it up?

I guess I could go on with my rant, but I'd rather hear some other way to get around this issue.

Message 5 of 7
rl_jackson

This should answer your question regaring Vault:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Vault-For-WAN/m-p/2601093/highlight/true#M120867

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
terryl

We have tried using cad over a WAN and had no luck at all, we now use a software that mirrors all out project files between servers in four offices.  It also handles file locking so you don't have to worry about files being open in two different offices.  We have been using this system for about the last 6 years and not had any problems with it.  The software we use is Availl, it mirrors in all directions, by that I mean that if office 1 changes a file office 2, 3 and 4 all get updated, if office 3 changes a file office 1, 2 and 4 get the update and so on.  The is no extra hardware, just software.

Terry

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Availl sounds interesting. Unfortunately, we no longer have a server in our office. IT has been consolidating everything onto the server at the main office, and using Riverbed hardware to keep the performance up. Worked fairly well until Win7-64bit C3D 2012.

Most of the problem is with Toolspace. If it is open, there are major slowdowns when doing certain things, like opening and closing properties dialogs, switching between open drawings, expanding the alignments tree when there are a lot of alignments, etc. Close it, and all is well.

I'm supposed to get training on Vault tomorrow. From the youtube videos I've viewed, it does have some nice features, and it will most likely solve the problems I have been experiencing, but it is overkill for the projects that I'm working on, and I don't know what the limitations might be. I like the KISS way of doing things. This just adds another layer of complexity to the system, and therefore, another place where things can, and will go wrong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report