Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Create A 3D Terrain Map For Simulation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Elosan
2714 Views, 6 Replies

Need to Create A 3D Terrain Map For Simulation

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right thread to post this.  I am working with some professors and historical societies to create a skirmish that took place at Carlisle, PA during the American Civil War.  I have managed to recreate the layout of the Carlisle by using old fire department and lot maps.  However, one of the tricky parts I have encountered is the figuring out what the terrain looked like during skirmish.  To help with this task, a local surveying company provided me with some information regarding the terrain.  They also provided me with this .DWG file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/499swzi58zbd0cz/Carlisle_Contours.DWG

MI have recently graduated, and I believe I am no longer able to register as a student to use the AutoDesk Software.  I have been using a trail version, but my trail is running up.

While I am famailar several 3D modeling software, Autocad is not one of them.  I was wondering if there is a way to take the information provided in the autocad file above and use it to create 3D model of the terrain that I can import into software that I am using (such as Blender, Google Sketchup, 3D Max, etc).  I have looked at several tutorials regarding this subject, but most of them state that I will need to move each contour line individually.  As I stated before, I am not sure if the information in the link has the 3D model information (you can download it if you like, I asked permission from the surveyors).

Here is some background information for those who are interested and that may help.  I have used Google Sketchup to import terrain from Google Earth to see if I can recreate.  The issue is though, is that the size of the terrain that Google Sketchup allows me to import is much too small.  I ended up having to import multipe pieces of terrain from Google Earth.  Also, while there is no much change in the elevation according to Google Earth, there is one feature I am looking for.  According to a newspaper entry and a diary entry, the Confederates placed there artillery on a rise/hill north east of Carlisle.  Problem is, that according to Google Earth, no such hill/rise exists.  That is where I am hoping the information from the surveyors will come in handy.

I attatached some images of the project I am working on for those who are interested.

If you would like anymore information, just let me know.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
4570Steve
in reply to: Elosan

The .dwg you indicated is made of 3D polylines, and they are intelligent - that is, they already have their elevations assigned.  It would be short work to make a surface of the desired areas, and export an xml file, or whatever format you need for import into other software.

Side note to anyone who tries to view that .dwg file -- the contours are colored black for some reason, so when the drawing is opened, you get a black screen.  Change the layer color to see the contours.

Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup

I'm not sure from your post. Are you running a trial of Civil 3D or just plain AutoCAD?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Elosan
in reply to: AllenJessup

Sorry, I believe I am running plain Autocad.  If I should change this to another thread, let me know.  Would Civil 3D be better for this task?

Message 5 of 7
Elosan
in reply to: 4570Steve

Thank you. I did notice that when I viewed the map from the side, it appeared to be already 3 deminsional.  Thank you.  However, I can't seem to fill them in to make a solid surface.

Also, do any of you have any good recommendations for tutorial sites for Autocad?  While, I am a little familar with the program, it has been several years since I used it.

Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup

The AutoCAD forum is better for plain AutoCAD related question. However. Civil 3D is designed to take polylines at elevation and create a surface from them. Form there you need to decide what format you want to use to transfer the surface. I believe 3DS Max will take Civil information directly. Don't know about the other two. See if they can accept a LandXML file.

There is a way to create a solid from a Civil 3D surface:

Convert a Civil 3D Tin Surface to AutoCAD Solid

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
AllenJessup

It seems to generate a decent surface - see attached. I could creat a LandXML file if that would help.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report