Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions on using pipe networks for utilities

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
rhdins
1564 Views, 13 Replies

Need suggestions on using pipe networks for utilities

On a waterline that I am currently working on, we have existing utilities (gas, fiber, electric, etc.) surveyed and need to display those on our profile.  Typically we will determine the crossing locations and offset those x' below the existing ground.

The problem I am having is that in a mile and a half of waterline, there are 100+ crossings.  Creating a pipe out of each of those, applying the correct pipe type and display, naming the pipe network, etc, is too time consuming.  It's faster to draw them on our profile manually.  Also, with 100+ pipe networks, it slows down the drawing considerably.  And if we create data shortcuts, then we have to create a reference to 100's of pipe networks in our plan and profile sheets.

I would like any suggestions, or things you have done to simplify this process, and put these pipe networks to good use. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rhdins
in reply to: rhdins

Also, Is it possible to create a pipe network out of multiple objects? If I could select all 30 buried electric lines and create a pipe network out of those, instead of selecting each individually, that would save a considerable amount of time.

Message 3 of 14
dgordon

we currently don't use pipe networks for any of those utilities including water main.

although I may look into pressure pipe networks when they finish it.

I use profile view lables to show crossing pipes with a oval block that is scaled to the size of the pipe in question.  then i have a station elevation profile view label to show the elevation, type and size of the offending utility.   the reason I do it this way is so when i have to change the elevation of the profile view the components will move with the profile view.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 14
troma

Another suggestion to look into: the command Project Objects to Profile View.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 14
rhdins
in reply to: dgordon

Tell me if I understand this correctly. You aren't using a pipe object, rather you are labeling the profile at a spot, and at the end of the label you are placing an oval block to represent the pipe?

That sounds promising.  I would still like to hear how others are handeling this.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Feature lines with elevations assigned, then project objects to view.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 14
rhdins
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Could I get a little more detail on doing this?  I understand I can assign a feature line an elevation, but if I project it to the profile, what does it display?  Can I get it to show an oval to represent a pipe?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 14
tcorey

You can assign Beginning, End and Internal Vertex marker styles. A marker style can reference a block that looks like an oval. The feature line itself will only be a line and will not look like a pipe.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 14
Joe-Bouza

<snip>

The problem I am having is that in a mile and a half of waterline, there are 100+ crossings.  Creating a pipe out of each of those, applying the correct pipe type and display, naming the pipe network, etc, is too time consuming.  It's faster to draw them on our profile manually.  Also, with 100+ pipe networks, it slows down the drawing considerably.  And if we create data shortcuts, then we have to create a reference to 100's of pipe networks in our plan and profile sheets.

I would like any suggestions, or things you have done to simplify this process, and put these pipe networks to good use. 

So you're in too much of a hurry to do it quickly? Make a copy of existing ground and drop it the depth of your utility (maybe you want to do this for various utils., Now strap on your Velcro Sneakers and place points or blocks at the crossings, select similar ang project to profile view.

Now pray the alignment doesn't change, because you'll have to move them.Smiley Wink

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 14
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I like Joe's solution.  Note that you can project any block, and have the projection look like the block or look according to preset 'Marker Styles'.  You can set whether these are exagerated acording to the profile view exageration or not.

The copy surface idea is a good shortcut too. When you project to profile view you can use this surface to set the elevation of the projection.  Alternativly you can give your block a z value and use that instead.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 14
rhdins
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Typically what we do is copy our EG surface and lower it 3', or whatever it is for the specific utility.  Then create pipe networks out of feature lines or polylines, and assign it elevations from the surface.

The problem with doing it that way (with pipe networks), for me at least, is when I have many utilities, the drawing size grows substantially, and there are too many pipe networks to manage efficiently.  They can only be created one at a time, then they need to be named, displayed correctly, etc. 

I love the fact that using pipe networks the display and labels on the profile update automatically when the alignment is changed.  The problem that I'm running into however, is that this process of setting them up is too time consuming, and slows down the drawing enough that the time saved is negated by the slowdown in opening and editing files.  It is faster to draw them manually and then update them manually when the profile changes.

I like the idea of using feature lines for this, or just profile labels.  I will try those and see how they work out.

Message 12 of 14
rhdins

Just a note.  This is for utilities where we are assuming a depth, for us that is usually gas, power, telephone, cable, etc. For sewer and storm drain, that we usually have invert depth on, pipe networks have been working well for us.

It would be nice if there were a dumbed down version of pipe networks that we could use for other dry utilities.

Message 13 of 14
emelendez

I know this was labeled as solved, but I wanted to add another method that I use.

I create POINTS in my dwg where in plan view, the symbol that shows up on screen is just a small circle that is on defpoints and then I edit the point raw description to be what I want the label to read in profile. I have several point styles created that are just blocks of ovals for different pipe sizes for profile view.

Then I project the point to my profile view and apply the proper projected style for the pipe size.

The attached file shows the point description that matches the label and the point display in plan view. the good thing about using points is that you can export/import points to other files for use. the project displayed in my image had well over 100 crossings.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 14 of 14
rogershaw1237

Just another idea... I use Pressure pipes for all my extraneous utilities, (water, TELE, GAS, etc.)

it lets me place it at a depth, and automatically updates in the profile. i creat just enough of a Pressure pipe network

to show in the alignment/profile with a little extra in case that alignment moves.

this gives me labeling and auto update features and works well. plus i'd rather do this have to calc each utility and place an ellipse there

why struggle when the software will do it for you is my motto.

hope this helps

Cad Manager/Senior Technician
Heneghan & Associates, PC
Jerseyville, IL 62052

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report