AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
rhdins
Message 1 of 13 (651 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need suggestions on using pipe networks for utilities

651 Views, 12 Replies
01-10-2013 01:08 PM

On a waterline that I am currently working on, we have existing utilities (gas, fiber, electric, etc.) surveyed and need to display those on our profile.  Typically we will determine the crossing locations and offset those x' below the existing ground.

The problem I am having is that in a mile and a half of waterline, there are 100+ crossings.  Creating a pipe out of each of those, applying the correct pipe type and display, naming the pipe network, etc, is too time consuming.  It's faster to draw them on our profile manually.  Also, with 100+ pipe networks, it slows down the drawing considerably.  And if we create data shortcuts, then we have to create a reference to 100's of pipe networks in our plan and profile sheets.

I would like any suggestions, or things you have done to simplify this process, and put these pipe networks to good use. 

rhdins
Message 2 of 13 (647 Views)

Re: Need suggestions on using pipe networks for utilities

01-10-2013 01:11 PM in reply to: rhdins

Also, Is it possible to create a pipe network out of multiple objects? If I could select all 30 buried electric lines and create a pipe network out of those, instead of selecting each individually, that would save a considerable amount of time.

*Pro
dgordon
Message 3 of 13 (645 Views)

01-10-2013 01:14 PM in reply to: rhdins

we currently don't use pipe networks for any of those utilities including water main.

although I may look into pressure pipe networks when they finish it.

I use profile view lables to show crossing pipes with a oval block that is scaled to the size of the pipe in question.  then i have a station elevation profile view label to show the elevation, type and size of the offending utility.   the reason I do it this way is so when i have to change the elevation of the profile view the components will move with the profile view.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 4 of 13 (636 Views)

01-10-2013 01:43 PM in reply to: rhdins

Another suggestion to look into: the command Project Objects to Profile View.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

rhdins
Message 5 of 13 (631 Views)

01-10-2013 01:59 PM in reply to: dgordon

Tell me if I understand this correctly. You aren't using a pipe object, rather you are labeling the profile at a spot, and at the end of the label you are placing an oval block to represent the pipe?

That sounds promising.  I would still like to hear how others are handeling this.  Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 6 of 13 (623 Views)

01-10-2013 02:24 PM in reply to: rhdins

Feature lines with elevations assigned, then project objects to view.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

rhdins
Message 7 of 13 (618 Views)

01-10-2013 03:34 PM in reply to: TRogers

Could I get a little more detail on doing this?  I understand I can assign a feature line an elevation, but if I project it to the profile, what does it display?  Can I get it to show an oval to represent a pipe?  Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 8 of 13 (610 Views)

01-10-2013 04:57 PM in reply to: rhdins

You can assign Beginning, End and Internal Vertex marker styles. A marker style can reference a block that looks like an oval. The feature line itself will only be a line and will not look like a pipe.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 9 of 13 (607 Views)

01-10-2013 06:43 PM in reply to: rhdins

<snip>

The problem I am having is that in a mile and a half of waterline, there are 100+ crossings.  Creating a pipe out of each of those, applying the correct pipe type and display, naming the pipe network, etc, is too time consuming.  It's faster to draw them on our profile manually.  Also, with 100+ pipe networks, it slows down the drawing considerably.  And if we create data shortcuts, then we have to create a reference to 100's of pipe networks in our plan and profile sheets.

I would like any suggestions, or things you have done to simplify this process, and put these pipe networks to good use. 

So you're in too much of a hurry to do it quickly? Make a copy of existing ground and drop it the depth of your utility (maybe you want to do this for various utils., Now strap on your Velcro Sneakers and place points or blocks at the crossings, select similar ang project to profile view.

Now pray the alignment doesn't change, because you'll have to move them.:smileywink:

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 10 of 13 (591 Views)

01-11-2013 06:11 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I like Joe's solution.  Note that you can project any block, and have the projection look like the block or look according to preset 'Marker Styles'.  You can set whether these are exagerated acording to the profile view exageration or not.

The copy surface idea is a good shortcut too. When you project to profile view you can use this surface to set the elevation of the projection.  Alternativly you can give your block a z value and use that instead.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.