Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need simple definition of "Survey Figure"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BWYarger
575 Views, 5 Replies

Need simple definition of "Survey Figure"

I have received a survey from a someone who is using Civil 3D.  In it there are "survey figures."  These appear to be feature lines used in surveying, but I can't find a simple definition of the term in C3D help.  How are these different than feature lines, or 3D polylines?  They seem to be uneditable, but I need to change them since I know there are errors in them, like closed circles that are currently not closed, or breaks in the edge of pavement where there shouldn't be.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10, 11
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: BWYarger

They are 3D linear objects. Exactly the same as feature lines and parcel segments except they are linked with survey data in the survey database. They can be edited easily in C3D; add and remove verteces, break trim etc by selecting one and using the ribbon tools.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
BWYarger
in reply to: mathewkol

I appear to have several problems:

The associated survey database is not available.  Is this something I can get a data short cut for, or do something similar?  I got the C3D drawing file from the prime on the job.  What do they and I need to do to get the database for my copy of the topo drawing file?

I can't get linetypes to apply correctly, or even consistantly.  My linetype for skip pavement markings is set up for 1:1 application in model space.  When I just draw a simple line, the linetype scale is off by 10X, but I can't change the linetype or linetype scale in properties for a survey figure.  I can't use bylayer as the survey figure is configured since some of the lines need to be contineous and others need to be skips.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 4 of 6
IanMcClain

Look under your Toolspace->Settings->Survey->Figure Styles. You can create different styles to apply to the figures in your drawing.

If you have layers with linetypes assigned to them you need one figure style that is set to layer 0 and has ByLayer for the linetype, then the survey figure just need to be placed on the right layers. Or you can make different styles with different linetypes and apply them as needed.

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 6
BWYarger
in reply to: IanMcClain

I found the problem.  It has a little to with survey figures, but a lot to do with how they set up their drawings compared to the way we do using annotation scales, linetype scales, linetype definitions, paperspace linetype scale, and block insertion scales.  I think I deal with this now.  Thanks.

Brad
LT, C3D 2005 - 2024
Message 6 of 6
n2itive

Actaully, much of what you just listed does have to do with the survey figures and the properties associated with the styles assigned to a particular figure.

It doesn't sound as though you need them to be "survey figures", do yourself a favor and just explode the darn things then convert them from a 3d poly to a 2d poly. Life will be much easier.

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report