Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Need an expression to round Pipe Slopes

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
tgaf
1356 Views, 12 Replies

Need an expression to round Pipe Slopes

We Need an expression to round Pipe Slopes to the nearest 0.5% slope.

We were working with:

ROUND(({Pipe Slope}/0.5))*0.5

but it only returns 0.00,

what's missing? THanks 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: tgaf

I've done that with slopes on Section Views. I made two Expressions:

First, to find those values that should round to no decimal places:

IF(ABS({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2})-ABS(TRUNC({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2}))<0.25|ABS({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2})-ABS(TRUNC({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2}))>=0.75,1/120,0)

Note the | symbol between <0.25 and the next ABS means OR.

Second, to find those values that should round to .5:

IF(ABS({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2})-ABS(TRUNC({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2}))>=0.25&ABS({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2})-ABS(TRUNC({Grade between Point 1 and Point 2}))<0.75,1/120,0)

You might need to play with the 1/120 text height to get a height that works for you.

I assume you know how to make your label style use these. If not, let me know.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13
tgaf
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for the quick response, I'm trying to add the expression to a pipe label style, need to round out the pipe's slope. Not sure how the "Grade between Point 1 and Point 2" plays out.

Why does picking the "Pipe Slope" function not play out?

THanks,

Message 4 of 13
tcorey

Look in the attached drawing. Find on Settings tab of Toolspace: Pipes --> Label Styles --> Plan/Profile --> Expressions.

These are referenced by the label style called Pipe slope - percent - rounded to .5. Apply that to your pipes and they will round to either no decimal places or .5.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 13
tgaf

WOw, that's interesting, thanks , but unfortunately I'm dealing with 2012 and that percent function doesn't exist in the 2012 release, or I may be missing something. Thanks for the file though, just another reason to upgrade.

Message 6 of 13
tcorey

Here's a 2012 version.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 13
tgaf

Thanks again for the 2012 version, but i think I'm not explaining myself correctly, I need to be able to round the slope percentage in the lable so that if the slope of the pipe is 3.42 as an example it will round down to 3.40, or if it is 7.47 it will round up to 7.50. The options of round normal , truncate and round up in the component editor don't seem to do the trick.

Thanks for your effort.

Message 8 of 13
tcorey

Sounds to me like you're rounding to the nearest tenth, which Civil 3D does without expressions. Your original post stated you want to round to the nearest .5, which is what the expressions I built do.

Maybe you can post a drawing with detailed description of what you want and that Civil 3D doesn't appear to be doing for you.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 13
tgaf

okay, here's a dwg with a few pipe examples,

so basically to illustrate, if the slope is 4.54% so to say, we need it to read 4.55%,

if its let's say -3.32%, then we need it to read -3.30%

if 5.58%, we need it to read 5.60%

can't seem to get it to work with the given rounding methods

again, thanks for your efforts

Message 10 of 13
Civil3DReminders_com

Sounds like you are looking to round to the nearest tenth, but show two digits. This expresion should do it:

(ROUND({Pipe Slope}*10))/10

If you want the nearest 0.5% then this expression should work:

(ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2))/2

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 11 of 13
tgaf
in reply to: Civil3DReminders_com

yeah, I started with those solutions but they still don't return the desired result.

If the slope of the pipe is -14.73% the (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2))/2 expression returns 0.00%

If the slope of the pipe is -243.18% then  (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2))/2 expression returns -250.00%

with the (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*10))/10 expression the results are -10.00% and -240.00% resepectively.

hmmm...

thanks for looking at the conundrum..

Message 12 of 13
Jeff_M

@tgaf wrote:

yeah, I started with those solutions but they still don't return the desired result.

If the slope of the pipe is -14.73% the (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2))/2 expression returns 0.00%

If the slope of the pipe is -243.18% then  (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2))/2 expression returns -250.00%

with the (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*10))/10 expression the results are -10.00% and -240.00% resepectively.

hmmm...

thanks for looking at the conundrum..

You are really wanting to round a number such as this: 0.14733689 (14.73%) to this: 0.1475. So this expression does just that: (ROUND({Pipe Slope}*2000)/2000  This gets the decimal point to the place that needs to be rounded.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 13
tgaf
in reply to: Jeff_M

BINGO, WE GOT BINGO!

Thanks so much, the PEs will be happy, well at least for a little while.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report