AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Distinguished Contributor
clemay
Message 1 of 5 (113 Views)

Need Help with Labeling Parcels

113 Views, 4 Replies
10-21-2013 02:22 PM

I am working on labeling parcels that I have imported the shapefile and then converted to a drawing.  I then took that drawing and inserted into my Master Drawing.  The problems I am having when I choose create parcels from objects are listed below.

1. When I choose a parcel style and apply it to my selected parcels, which are closed polylines that overlap on joining sides, they show duplicate data for the same sides.  They also show parcel data for the many line segments that were used on the arcs that I do not need.  Rather than giving me a distance for a particular arc, or one side of the parcel, it gives me like 10 labels on that one side.  Or at least how ever many segments that were used to create the arc.

2. I was trying to figure out how to label them with just a distance for the line segments and the Parcel Number.  But it seems that I may have to create a style that shows this type of data, rather than being able to choose a Parcel Style that is called "Parcel Name And Area", as they have in the tutorials.

I thought I could use the OVERKILL command and get rid of the overlapping lines, but only to realize that they are on top of each other, but just enought apart to where I can't execute the command. Frustrating really.

Any tips are pointers would greatly be appreciated from you masters out there. 

I have been grinding myself out going through all of the tutorials and making sure I learn everything possible so I don't have to ask silly questions to the masters out there, but I have to learn somehow and my main go-to is teaching class.

Please let me know if you need any data from my end.

C3D 2014 SP1
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 2 of 5 (96 Views)

Re: Need Help with Labeling Parcels

10-21-2013 07:30 PM in reply to: clemay
You definitely need to get rid of the "overlapping" segments, which sound like they are not actually overlapping. Try the MAPCLEAN command. There is a tool for duplicate objects which "may" have a tolerance setting. I can't remember.

Problem is, you may certainly end up with gaps in your parcels. Another part of mapclean may be used for that possibly.

It's possible you may need to do a bunch of work to get them correct.

Maybe attach a small area of your file and we can look at it. Find a spot where there is definitely some problems.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 3 of 5 (82 Views)

10-22-2013 04:50 AM in reply to: clemay

Insteead of OVERKILL, try MAPCLEAN. You should probably explode the polylines into line segments first.

Distinguished Contributor
clemay
Message 4 of 5 (75 Views)

10-22-2013 06:11 AM in reply to: mathewk
I'll cut out the parcels and a small section and see if I can attach it for review. Thanks! I am going to try the methods suggested as well. I am thinking back and I think I may have had create closed polylines when I created the dwg objects from the original shape file....not sure though....
C3D 2014 SP1
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 5 of 5 (62 Views)

10-22-2013 07:47 AM in reply to: clemay

http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/2006/06/parcel-rules-explained.html

This is still good stuff for parcels.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs