Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW DESKTOP

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sjg
Advisor
392 Views, 3 Replies

NEW DESKTOP

I currently use a Dell Vostro laptop,  Windows 7 w/ 4 GB of RAM running Civil 3d 2011 and I might be getting a new desktop.  Does anyone out there have any recommendations on what I should get?

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
awood
in reply to: sjg

Serach this and the hardware blog and you'll come up with a number of suggestions. Here are links to two blogs that have quite a bit of information regarding systems and Civil 3D 2011.

http://www.civil3d.com/2010/04/2011-hardware-advice-from-my-buddy-matt-stachoni/#more-4391

http://indydrafter.com/civil-3d-2011-workstation-suggestions/

HTH

AWood

Message 3 of 4
sjg
Advisor

Is there a big performance change between the 32 bit and 64 bit C3D 2011. I have read that C3D was designed for the 64 operating system.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 4
Sinc

The big difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is memory.  Some people can use C3D on a 32-bit OS without a lot of trouble, but others have lots of "Out of memory" errors and potentially other stability problems.

If you have 32-bit XP/Vista/Win7, you are limited to only 4GB of RAM in your machine.  Any more cannot be used (and in fact, you'll probably be limited to somewhere between 3GB and 3.5GB of usable RAM).  Also, your applications are limited to using at most 3GB of memory each (memory = RAM + pagefile usage).  A 64-bit OS removes both of these limitations.  That means that not only are you less likely to encounter "Out of memory" errors in C3D, you'll be able to run more applications simultaneously without issue.

The 32bit/64bit issue can conceivably increase speed for some tasks, but currently does not seem to have a whole lot of impact in speed for Civil 3D.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report