Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple codes on the same survey shot won't display both points

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kettledrum
869 Views, 5 Replies

Multiple codes on the same survey shot won't display both points

Our field surveyors will often take one shot with multiple codes, for example an underground electric line at its junction with an electric meter would be coded in our convention as 46E 54E with the 54 for the meter and the 46 for the underground line.  

I have found that the second code does not display.  In the above example the 54E for the electric meter will not be drawn (neither the point nor the point label).  If I reverse the coding to be 54E 46E, then the electric meter will draw but the point and point label for the underground line will not draw (however the linework WILL draw correctly).  

How do I get both codes to draw completely?   Hope this makes sense!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Maine-iac
in reply to: kettledrum

I may be wrong but I thought (2011) you can only get one symbol to come in from your descriptor key set, and it will be the first code. If you multi-code (for auto line work) you use the first code for the symbol that has priority. You need to add $1 $2 after your description format in the descriptor key set for extra codes to show in your descriptions and/or have a label style that shows raw descriptions.

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 3 of 6
ToddRogers-WPM

You might want to use the brackets [ ] in the code.  This might work for you.  You can review this in the user's guide.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\Help\filesCUG\GUID-8AA5D606-5D3D-49F3-B34B-05FA834A39D-756.htm

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6
stacy.dunn

You cannot insert multiple symbols attached to one point.  Your additional codes can be used in linework as you mentioned, and in labels.  Your crews should either take two shots or lead the description with the code that needs a symbol.

If you need to match a code and then also include everthing after it in a label, make you description key format "ELECTRIC METER $+"  The full description will then display the other codes/notes after the converted description.

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 6
kettledrum
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Thanks to all for their replies.

trogers, I am using C3D 2011, so your path that you included in your email does not work for me....  I am using brackets right now to include both uppercase and lowercase letters in my codes, for example I am using 33[sS][tT]* as the code for a storm manhole.

Maine, and Stacy, unfortunately, I had figured this was the case, that it is by design that only the first code will get its symbol drawn.   I wonder why it is this way.  It would seem that it wouldn't *have* to be this way.   At least they could give us the option to plot all symbols...

Message 6 of 6
stacy.dunn

It is the way it has always been.  Multiple symbols has been a wish of many people for years now.

If the crew is set up to take one shot, it will only take a few more seconds to take another one and enter the different code.

Stacy Dunn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report