Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Import Events-same points

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
torner
335 Views, 2 Replies

Multiple Import Events-same points

I have been creating 1 Survey Database for each project. For some projects I need to Import survey data multiple times. Some of these imports are a complete subset of a larger import and some are partially subsets. For instance, I may get a Topo to import, and then 2 weeks later I get the Master to import which includes all the points from Topo. After that I may get a request for just a Control points dwg of which these points are all in the Master dwg.

My issues is when I do (or re-do) these imports, I get the duplicate point dialog box asking to ignore/resolve. If I resolve, it adds a point name (#.1) and assigns a new point number (randomly?).

Example: 1st import is Master. Point Number 1500 is placed. Name is not set.

2nd import is Topo. Point Number 1500 is resolved and the number is changed to 536871445. Point Name is 1500.1

3rd import is Control Point Number 1500 is resolved and the number is changed to 536871508. Point name is 1500.2

I was hoping that the Point Number would not be changed to something so random, I am fine with the .1\.2 name.

Is there a different process I could use so that I don't need to resolve duplicate points? I hate to have a different SDB for each Import. Still trying to understand SDB & Import Events after 6 months and no training.

C3D 2012 sp2

Tom
C3D 2012 sp4\C3D 2014 sp2
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
Intel Xeon CPU W3565@3.20GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: torner

If you use Points Import to import the points into a drawing, always the same drawing, and import to the Survey database from there, only newly numbered points will be part of each new import event.

It's an extra, seemingly unnecessary, step, but it works.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
torner
in reply to: tcorey

To me, this brings up options of what's the best way to be importing field survey. Not having any formal training\support, I find it difficult to see what would be best for my company.

I have been using Import Survey Data, thus creating new import events within a drawing. I was having trouble with how to deal with duplicate points from these events. I also questioned whether I should create a different network for each import.

With this alternative way of Import Points and then adding to the SDB I am still with options. After importing 1 set of points and adding to the SDB I go to imports a 2nd set of points that include some of the points from set 1. A box comes up with options to Re-import the existing import event, Delete the Import event or Continue and create a new import event. I am not sure here.

Confused as to some, if any, of the differences with Import Survey Data, Import points from drawing and Import Points.

Tom
C3D 2012 sp4\C3D 2014 sp2
W7Pro 64bit
HP Z400 Workstation
16 GB RAM
Intel Xeon CPU W3565@3.20GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report