Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Data Shortcuts for same Alignment?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Jason.Ferrelli
4458 Views, 10 Replies

Multiple Data Shortcuts for same Alignment?

For some reason when I try to "Create Reference" to bring in my Alignment, Finished Ground and Existing Ground I get three different alignment data shortcuts instead of them grouping into one. I am trying to find out where in my workflow this all went wrong.

I have a .dwg that just has my alignment files in it. Then I make a new drawing and data shortcut in those alignments and Surface. I make my profiles and then create the data shortcuts for those. I start a New drawing and try to reference the alignment and profile and I get duplicated that aren't grouped. If you take a look at the two .bmp's you can see what happens.

The Purple highlighted area is how I want it to show up and that one worked just fine. Same work flow. The yellow is what is giving me a hard time and was hoping someone else has seen this happen and know how to fix it.

Jason Ferrelli
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: Jason.Ferrelli

Refer to the attached image.  Looks like you might be data referencing the same files multiple times for each drawing.  Once you create a data shortcut you don't have to do it again, from that point you create the reference from the dref.

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 11
david.zavislan
in reply to: sjg

I have seen problem like this before.  It was caused when an alignment drawing was copied and the alignment was renamed.  Data shortcuts use the object handles, and these copies had the same handle as the original.  When one was data referenced Civil 3D attached all of them.

We were able to fix them by using the "Copy to site" commands in the copied drawings, followed by recreating the data shortcuts.  The "Copy to site" command created a new instance of the alignment with a new handle.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 4 of 11
annw2
in reply to: david.zavislan

I am having a similar problem:

I don't think I have erased and renamed the alignment.  I may have erased it by accident and hit undo to bring it back.

I have several profiles for several segments of the main alignment.

As I bring in data short cuts for the profiles, it will create duplicate copies of the main "Proposed Gas Main" alignment using the numbering system "Proposed Gas Main (1)" rather than just adding the profile to the original alignment and having it show in the existing profile views.

I did open one of the files in 2012 briefly as an experiment.

I did note that at one point, the data shortcuts seemed to reset to just two and I had to redo the data shortcuts that vanished.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 5 of 11
Civil3DReminders
in reply to: annw2

You can use the Data Shortucts Editor (found from the Start Menu) to change how Civil 3D to find the Data Shortcuts by Name instead of by handle.

Christopher

http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/

Message 6 of 11
yee-fan
in reply to: Civil3DReminders

I have the same problem (using Civil 3D 2009).  I am picking up someone else's work, and they established a horizontal alignment in one file.  Then in another file called profiles, say, referenced in the shortcut of the horizontal alignment, and created multiple profiles for this horizontal alignment.  Then shortcuts of the profiles were created.

I then went to a 3rd file to try to reference in the profiles, and it was giving me horizontal alignments with (1), (2), etc for each profile. 

I don't know if all those shortcuts was messing something up.  Sorry this is just adding to the mess.

Message 7 of 11
mathewkol

It is generally not the best practise to create profiles from DREF'd alignments, at least in my experience. Create the profiles in the same DWG as the alignment and see if that fixes these problems.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 11
annw2
in reply to: mathewkol

Then how do you keep the computer from crashing on large projects?  What happened to best practices about splitting your information apart?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 9 of 11
mathewkol

Keep splitting them up but try it a different way. Split the alignments out to different files instead of the alignments and profiles in different files.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 11
yee-fan
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.  I've never split the horizontal and vertical up like that either- they kinda go hand in hand.  I will see if I have time to fix it. 

Message 11 of 11
KirkWM

What I've done that fixes it for me (in 2012) is to go to the source alignment & profile drawing, go to data shortcuts and remove the entire alignment from the data shortcuts and then re create data shortcuts for the same alignment and its profies with the same name (then save and check-in); I then go to the d'referenced sheet files and synchronize the d'refed alignments by r-clicking the alignment name in the prospector and click "synchronize" and then add in the new profiles. Hope this helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report