Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving surface spot elevation from one drawing to another?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
deltacoolguy
1697 Views, 3 Replies

I would like to move (wblock) a whole slew of dynamic spot elevation entities from one drawing to another, but when I do so it drags the surface and surface feature lines and creates another duplicate surface in the new drawing.  I already have the surface data linked in the new drawing.  I don't need or want another one.  I just want the surface label entities.  Tied to the same (d-linked) surface, of course, but I'm willing to reassociate the label entities to the surface, if necessary and if possible.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: deltacoolguy

There is no way to directly copy/move labels from 1 drawing to another. I've never even tried, but since you have and you've found it copies the surface the surface as well, you have 2 options (that I'm aware of) to get the result you are after.

Option 1: After copying to the new drawing, set the surface to not auto-rebuild; edit the surface defintion of the copied surface to remove all of the definitions; paste the surface you want the labels to be using into the copied surface.

Option 2: After copying to new drawing, use the SwapLabelSurface command found in the Sincpac-C3D; delete the copied surface.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 4
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Jeff_M

I tried exploding the inserted block, then...

• ...changing the surface definition in Properties.  Would not allow me.
  • ...deleting the duplicate surface.  I could do this, but the label entities disappeared as well.  I was hoping they'd detach and then maybe I could re-associate to the proper surface.  No go.

Oh well.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 4
Ed.McGriskin
in reply to: deltacoolguy

One way I would do it is save a copy of the drawing with the labels and then delete all the surface definition objects from the surface. This will leave a blank surface that your dref surface can be pasted into.
Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report