Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving UCS w/o disturbing existing viewports in Civil3d

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
210 Views, 2 Replies

Moving UCS w/o disturbing existing viewports in Civil3d

I don't know if this can be done, but here goes......

I have a subdivision plat that already has 10 to 15 viewports setup for plats, exhibits and stakeout work that was not originally on grid. I found out recently that it needs to be grid. I have new GPS (grid) points that everything has to be moved to, but is there a way to do it without having to re-setup all of the viewports?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

A viewport is just a window looking at your model space and includes some pre-determined scale.  It seems pretty simple to me, however, by you asking the question I don't know if you can do it.

I hope my answer is coming across OK.

Bill

Message 3 of 3
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Anonymous

When you say something has to be grid that typically means something different if you are looking at something from a surveying perspective versus a GIS or map quality perspective. Here is the first question you need to answer.:

If you need what I call "survey grid", then the distances you currently show on the subdivision will be surface, not grid. You would need to scale the XY but not the Z of the whole project. That's a big deal to adjust.

If you need what I call "map quality grid" (for GIS coordination), then moving the project from one surface control coordinate to it's calculated grid coordinate would probably suffice. If the purpose is to drop the information into a GIS database, then this move only method is probably sufficient.

If "map quality grid" is the goal, then draw a polyline at elevation zero from the original coordinate to the grid coordinate in a no plot layer. Move the information in the base drawings from endpoint to endpoint. Next move the xrefs in the sheets from endpoint to endpoint in the opposite direction to return them to the expected viewport layout.

A workflow that involves resetting the BASE variable might allow you to get the same result without moving the xrefs in the sheets. Always verify coordinates when working with USC and BASE variable set to something other than 0,0. If coordinate labels are Civil 3D labels then there should be an issue.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report