Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Surface Points Created from "Edit Surface" to a Point Group

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
d4dooley2
805 Views, 4 Replies

Moving Surface Points Created from "Edit Surface" to a Point Group

I created an empty surface and used the "Edit Surface > Add Points" command to add some spot elevations for a proposed surface on a small parking lot project.  However, I now see that it may be more useful to put these points within a point group and that I may create different point groups for different parts of the project (i,e, walls, stiars, pavement, misc. etc.)

In the Prospector, my original points are in the "Edits" under Definition, and I cannot figure out how to move these to a point group.  I tried exporting to a file, and was going to then import them into a new Point Group, but it wouldn't Export my points created with my Edit Surface points.

Any thoughts on how I am going about this?

I am thinking about just redoing the points (there are only about 30 so far), but instead of using the Edit Surface > Add Points command, I would use the Points > Create Points Misc > Manual command.  However, if I do this, the points end up in the "All Points" point group by default, and I cannot figure out how to move them to a user-created point group.  How can I move points from the "All Points" point group to a user-defined point group?

I am also noticing that when I try the "Edit Points" command, the command line goes to "_AeccEditAllPoints" and the command exits without doing anything.  ANyone know anything about this?  Am I missing a Plug-In?

Thanks in advance.

Dooley

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: d4dooley2

First a clarification.  There are two separate types of points here, cogo points and surface TIN points.  Cogo points can be imported/exported, displayed using point styles and point label styles etc.  TIN points exist only within a surface, and are used to define the corners of the TIN triangles.  There are some limited options for displaying TIN points within the surface style but they don't have point numbers or descriptions like cogo points do.

You can use cogo points to create TIN points as part of a surface definition.  You could also extract TIN points from a surface as ACad points and then convert those into cogo points.

The All Points group cannot be deleted and includes all cogo points.  Any other point group you create will include a subset of All Points.  When you create the new group you will define the filters to control which points are included.

I'm guessing that the Edit points commmand isn't working because you don't have any cogo points in your drawing yet.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
d4dooley2
in reply to: sboon

Thanks sboon.

This extra clarification helped to me to figure it all out.  I found it intersting that deleting those orginal surface edit points (or the TIN points that you pointed out what they were) using the Surface > Edit Surface > Delete Point command was not enough.  I actually had to go and delete them under the "Edits" tree list as well at the bottom of prospector.

I Manually inserted COGO points from the Points tab, and now am working with it all fine.  Trying to figure out now how to include multiple point descriptions in the same point group.

Dooley

Message 4 of 5
sboon
in reply to: d4dooley2

Make a list with commas separating them, or you can use wildcards to add multiple descriptions.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
d4dooley2
in reply to: sboon

Thanks.  Found the answer on anthor thread/forum website.

Raw Descriptions look like this now : "*EOP*,*CONC*,*FL*" to include multiple descriptions in the point group.

Thanks again for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report