Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move profiles from one drawing to another

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nloder
3644 Views, 7 Replies

Move profiles from one drawing to another

Currently I have a surfaces, alignments, and profiles set up like this:

Alignments in File #1

Profiles in File #2-#8, with alignments data-referenced from File #1

Grading surface in File #9, with profiles and alignments data-referenced from File #2-8 and File #1 respectively.

Everything was peachy until I started creating feature lines based on the profiles in the grading file.  I started to receive a bunch of errors, and C3D would freeze/crash.  I suspect the errors and crashes are a result of the data-referencing.  I have now started over, and want to let the alignments remain in File #1, and put the profiles in File #9, to eliminate C3D from refreshing all of the data references from the profile drawings.

My question is, how do I move the profiles from Files #2-#8 to the grading base file (File #9)?  If I import it as a LandXML file, it will no longer dynamically link to the alignment base file (File #1), correct?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: nloder

Promote the DS you wish to be resident in a drawing.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
nloder

I tried that, but couldn't figure out how to make a profile view with my existing ground and proposed profile out of the promoted profile.  How does one do that?

Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 8
Joe-Bouza

create the profile view. once promotes the profiles should be part of the alignment collection and available for making views. I will say though, best practice papers do suggest that profile and alignment DS be created as 1. Probably to avoid this type of confusion.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
grantc

If you are useing 2010 and auto feature lines no matter what you do it will still crash you out there is a problem with the auto feature lines. Does not seem to be an issue with regular feature lines we had the same problem removed all auto feature lines and everything works great now.

Message 6 of 8
nloder
in reply to: grantc

Great, my question is answered for how to move profiles from one drawing to another. 

Regarding "auto feature lines," are you referring to the Grading -> Create Feature Lines from Alignment?  How do I make a feature line out of an alignment without it being "auto?"  Uncheck the "create dynamic link to the alignment" box?

Message 7 of 8
grantc

What I do is leave the box checked and then erase that feature line before I get out of the drawing other wise you will get unhandled exceptions when you try to open the drawing and the only way to open it is with a recover and then you have trouble saving it till you get rid of the auto feature lines. I even stopped useing them in corridors

Message 8 of 8
csevers
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Promote works great to get the DS into the drawing. It does not really solve my problem. I have two alignments, each with two profiles, ex. and prop., that I data referenced into my drawing. I created corridors, profile views, sections, section views, etc. using the data referenced alignments and profiles. Now my boss came back and says we need to edit the alignments and profiles. I want them in my drawing now. When I promote them though, they come in as new alignments/profiles, and I want them to REPLACE the data referenced alignments/profiles so that the data referenced alignments/profiles are now active in my drawing. Is this possible without recreating all my profile views, sections, section views, etc.?

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report