Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a surface

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Thoisington
2516 Views, 8 Replies

Move a surface

I received a new topo survey after I had completed my proposed grading. How can I move my proposed surface horizontally? I tried to simply move it, but once I rebuild, it goes right back. Please Help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: Thoisington

Move the objects defining the surface, the surface will rebuild in the new location. If you have made any manual edits (add/delete points or lines, swap edges, etc.), these will need to be removed and redone.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
emelendez

I recently had to go through the same excercise for a project. lesson learned......if you have any grading objects from feature lines, they may go wacky on you. I found that if you moved only the original feature line that was used to create the grading object, then they seemed to behave better......sometimes. But if you moved the grading objects themselves and the feature lines associated to the grading objects, then look out.....stuff is gonna go nutty. Also, if you have grading objects that target a surface that moved (ie existing surface) then they have a tendancy to do wierd things. In the end I deleted all grading objects and recreated them to make sure they were correct.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 4 of 9
yanek
in reply to: emelendez

Anybody knows how to move a surface from one file to another, i tried exporting landxml and then importing in on the other file , the surface comes in fine but the break lines do not transfer. help!!!!!

Message 5 of 9
tbeer
in reply to: yanek

you can copy your breaklines in from original dwg and add them to xml surface same for boundry

Message 6 of 9
emelendez

I have done this recently......here is how I did it.

1. create data shortcut from dwg A (file where surface is)

2. create reference of surface in dwg B (where you want it)

3. promote surface to that file

4. create block of just the breaklines. (if they are not in the file, add them to the file by right clicking on "breakline" in the surface definition and select improt to dwg)

5. insert said block into the new surface dwg

6. add breakline back into definition of surface.

Tadaaa!!!!

Another simple way is to file saveas and start from there with the "new" surface.

Edwin Melendez
Message 7 of 9
Neilw_05

When importing a surface via LandXML you should see an Edit LandXML Settings button in the dialog after the file is selected. In the settings under the Surface Import group, make sure Surface data is set to Full Import. Don't use the quick import option as that will ignore breaklines.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 9
emelendez

I just read your post again......skip to the part where I said make a block of the breaklines and insert them in......you already have the surface in the file via the xml method....

Edwin Melendez
Message 9 of 9
jmayo-EE

I do what Jeff recommended. If feature lines are going wacky try holding the same z values from base point to destination point when you move all of the data.

If I need to maintain the original coordinates for other work, I just create a new file, dref the surface into the new file and move it. I then share the moved surface with datashortcuts for the project work.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report