Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed Versions of AutoCAD in same office

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
376 Views, 5 Replies

Mixed Versions of AutoCAD in same office

I'm running C3D 2009.  Other designers are using AutoCAD LT 2013.  If a LT user opens and saves my drawings all of the civil data is lost.  We thought setting the save file type to AutoCAD2007/LT2007 would solve the problem, but it did not.  Is anyone aware of a work around other than hoping they never accidentally save one of my C3D drawing?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Well, other than hoping there is always warning, threatening, punishing, firing, hanging......Smiley LOL

I recommend that you either keep drawings in separate folders, called "C3D 2009" and "LT 2013" or append something similar to the end of the drawing name.  This way there is no excuse for someone to open the wrong drawing.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
AllenJessup

Civil 3D objects don't survive saving to a different release. I'd suggest that when at all possible other users only Xref the Civil 3D drawings. Also keep good backups. That's vital in any use of Civil 3D.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if your user with LT2013 opens the drawing from C3D2009, I guess he/she get's this information:

Saving the drawing will update any AEC objects

in it to the current version, which will be

incompatible with earlier versions.

This drawing was last saved with an earlier version of the software

If not, then he/she got sometimes that information and checked "don't show me again", so the warning is now disabled.

But .... I'm not 100% sure because of LT, so there might be a chance that I'm wrong.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6
mathewkol

It should go without saying, but I'll say it.  Having an office with mixed versions is just a bad idea and a problem waiting to happen.  Obviously your best option would be to upgrade to C3D 2013.

That said, it's not always possible to avoid this, but try really hard. 🙂

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 6
sboon
in reply to: mathewkol

Find out the cost of upgrading everyone to the same version, then start recording how much extra time and effort you spend maintaining two sets of drawings, recovering backup files after someone saves a file to the wrong version etc.

Post a running tally of dollars lost on your office wall.  I'll wager that the problem gets fixed quick.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report