Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Panels on Start

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mikeshick
853 Views, 14 Replies

Missing Panels on Start

On one of my comptuers, a couple of panels contiually disappear on each start-up of Civil 3D 2013.  On the modify tab, both edit geometry and edit elevations continue to uncheck themselves.  I have save a workspace, made it defualt to no avail.  Next startup i do the same thing, and so it goes trhoughout the day and every day.

Anyone have suggestions for getting these two panels to stay open?

Thanks,

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rkmcswain
in reply to: mikeshick

Here is my CUI, while in Edit Workspace mode.

Does that one match this?

When they are not in the Ribbon, where are they? Floating off screen perhaps?

tabs1.jpg

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 15
mikeshick
in reply to: rkmcswain

those are your contexual tabs.  the ones i speak of are panels of the modify tab.  They are simply off.  I have to righclick on ribbon, panels, and turn them both on persistently.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 4 of 15
Neilw_05

Do you have your option to save changes to Workspaces toggled on? It may be your changes are being discarded when you shut down.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 15
rkmcswain

@mikeshick wrote:

those are your contexual tabs.  the ones i speak of are panels of the modify tab.  

I know what you meant. I don't claim to be a CUI expert, but the original screen shot was of Workspace edit mode, showing the panels in the Modify tab. I know those panels contain the word "Context" but I'm pretty sure that screenshot is showing what is supposed to show up in the Modify tab.

See attached large image also.

Message 6 of 15
mikeshick
in reply to: Neilw_05

Not only to I have save on exit, but I also manually saved the changes too 🙂  In the past years, I have the same problem with various palettes disappearing, too.  The only solution seemed be starting over with a new profile.  Just hoping easier solution.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 7 of 15
mikeshick
in reply to: rkmcswain

RK, my workspace does not show the context shared tabs anywhere.  I cannot locate them in any mode.  Any ideas?

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 8 of 15

From my experience with the cui and those panels in particular, they are hidden/removed until you turn them on usin the edit geometry and edit elevation buttons.

To keep them showing each time civil 3d starts, I find those panels in the cui, right click on them, and choose duplicate. Then fix the names and display names on the new panels and then replace the existing panels on the Modify ribbon tab and you should be good.

From memory, the original panels have IDs that are used to hide/display them as required.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 9 of 15

@andrewpuller3811 wrote:

From my experience with the cui and those panels in particular, they are hidden/removed until you turn them on usin the edit geometry and edit elevation buttons.

I do not find that to be true here.

I can fire up C3D in a new empty drawing with no geometry, then click on the Modify Tab of the ribbon, and they are present. 

The behavior you describe happens when I select an appropriate object that reveals the contextual tab.

Message 10 of 15

Yes, you're absolutely right.

Sorry for the incorrect info.

I was working from memory at another computer without civil 3d at the time I posted that.

As you say, if you go to modify tab, the "Edit Geometry" and "Edit Levels" panels should be shown by default, it's only when you click on Feature Line in the Design panel of the Modify tab, or select a feature line in the drawing, that a context tab is shown with the panels that are hidden/shown by clicking the Edit Geometry and Edit Levels buttons.

Back to the original post....

I have found that the panels that appear on a tab in the cui, don't update within workspaces if the panels on a particular tab are added or removed from a tab that has already been assigned to that workspace. The way to fix that is to remove the tab from the workspace, and then add it back, as outlined below.

In the Cui, select the Workspace that has the issue, then click on the Customize Workspace button at the top left.

This should change the tree view on the left to include check boxes next to several items.

Expand out the Ribbon item by clicking on the plus next to "Ribbon", then expand out the Tabs item.

Uncheck the check box next to Civil 3d Modify, assuming you have not renamed the modify tab from it's original name.

This will remove the modify tab from the workspace.

Click the Done button.

Then click the OK button at the bottom right of the cui editor.

The ribbon should redraw, and the Modify tab will disappear.

Go back into the Cui editor.

Select the same Workspace as before.

Click the Customize Workspace button and this time, click the check box next to the modify tab so it is checked.

The ribbon tabs on the right should expand out and the Civil 3d Modify tab will appear at the bottom of the ribbon tabs.

Click and drag it back to where it belongs beneath Civil 3d Annotate.

Click the Done button and then click the Ok button.

This should correct the problem. If not please let us know.

The above will need to be done for all the workspaces that this occurs for on the machines in question.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 11 of 15
mikeshick

I'm not clear why, but it turned out I had two modify tabs in my CIVIL cui load.  When I unchecked one, and checked the other, I had no more issues of the edit panels not showing on start.  Wierd.  Thanks for your help everyone. 

BTW, wish there was a way to permantly show those same panels for the contextual ribbon for feature lines as well.  I don't see a way to make that happen.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 12 of 15

You can do as I said in my first post. That will make the panels permenant in the context tab.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 13 of 15

i might not have been clear, the context tab shows when selecting a feature, and the tab and panel shows up.  But I must select the edit geometry or edit elevation buttons in order to expand the options.  I would like a way for these to be always expanded.  Is this possible?

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 14 of 15
MikeEvansUK

Yes, edit the Cui and relocate all the buttons to the main ribbon tab instead of a flyout.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 15 of 15
mikeshick
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really clear how to do that. Could you possibly offer some screen shots. I can navigate the cui, but I've really never completely understood how to customize the ribbon to well.

Thanks, Mike.
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report