Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microstation to Civil 3D adding surface request for information

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
transmartinc
1029 Views, 8 Replies

Microstation to Civil 3D adding surface request for information

Hello all,

Quick background here: I'm mainly work in 3D software (C4D, 3Ds Max). I have a client that wants to do high end traffic renderings. They have supplied me with the Infastructure Design Suite 2014. 

I received an old Microstation file from them, which I have then brought in to Civil 3D. I would like to add surfaces to this file so then I can export to 3Ds Max, and use Civil View to incorporate the design, and then traffic simulation data from VISSIM.

I have researched the entire work flow, the only thing holding me up is adding the surfaces to this Microstation file. It seems this is maybe not very common as I am having a hard time finding any tutorials or documentation on the internet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where I might be able to find resources on accomplishing this? 

Thank you taking the time to read this 🙂

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
_Hathaway
in reply to: transmartinc

Getting an exact copy of a Civil3d surface to Microstation via any type of export functionality has proved impossible for us. We stopped trying and simply do the work in Microstation now.
Message 3 of 9
transmartinc
in reply to: _Hathaway

Thank you for the response.

However, I am not trying to do any work in Microstation. I have a design for a round about that the client did some years ago (which was done in microstation) I want to take the DGN and place it in Civil 3D(which I have done) I now want to add a surface to that, so I can export everything to 3Ds max.

My problem is figuring out how I can add surfaces to this file.

Message 4 of 9

It depends on what is in the DGN file. Is the geometry at elevation or at 0. Making a surface from the graphics is a pretty straight forward process provided the information has elevation.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9

Peter,

Thank you.

That is where I'm hitting a wall. I believe all of my information is at 0. Resulting, I need to give it elevation to add a surface. Which, I'm not certian how I should do that. (I'm a 3D render guy just now jumping in to Civil 3D/Civil View).

I was thinking I could create an Alignment from Object (by selecting my center lines from the DGN) Once I get there, I try creating a profile cross section so I can give the alignment a road defention but I have all sorts of issues.

The road I'm trying to make for this purpose can be perfectly flat, I am not worried about grade, or exsisting ground. I am purley trying to make a surface in order to get something in to 3Ds Max at the moemnt.

If you have a moment, I've attached the file for you to take a peek at.

Thank you

Message 6 of 9
Neilw_05

It appears the DGN you received contained only the 2D planimetrics. I don't see anything in the file you can use to build a surface. You will need to obtain the surface data either as 3D triangles or in a LandXML file.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 9
g_k50

Quick and Dirty, this is what I would do.

Revise the existing autocad drawing so that all entities are on the zero elevation.

create a surface in autocad at the zero elevation using the entities in the drawing.

Export as needed.

Message 8 of 9
doni49
in reply to: g_k50

@g_k50 wrote:

Quick and Dirty, this is what I would do.

Revise the existing autocad drawing so that all entities are on the zero elevation.

create a surface in autocad at the zero elevation using the entities in the drawing.

Export as needed.

That would create a totally useless surface EVERYTHING in it would be at zero elevation.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 9 of 9
transmartinc
in reply to: doni49

Thank you all, I'm getting GIS data from the area, and I'm going to attempt to use that data to obtain some elevation data to make my surface.

I was hoping there would be some sort of "default" land/plane I could use in all this, but owell.

Thank you for the replies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report