Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microdrainage & 3D Civil

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Mabdullah
13342 Views, 21 Replies

Microdrainage & 3D Civil

Hi,

There is continuous demand from our longer term clients to generate 3D drainage design information in CAD format to coordinate with other utility services and for long-term maintenance regime. InUKindustry, professional softwares primarily Microdrainage and Infoworks CS do not have facility to extract 3D designed information of water infrastructures.

I think Microdrainage files can be imported in C3D to which may enable to fulfill requirements (3D drainage cad file) but I am not sure about this .Could someone please confirm is this possible and shed the light on this process.

I guess I need to enquire from IT guys what kind of subscription we got but considering worse case scenario if we don’t have subscription for any of extension then is there free version be available as a trial version to assess its viability.

Thanks

Muhammad

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: Mabdullah

The UKIE Country kit has some tools for use with Microdrainage. Namely Rename Pipes, Export to File, and Import from FIle. If it's not already installed (verify this by looking on the Reports tab of Toolspace, if installed you will have Uk and Ireland Reports as a branch) it can be installed using the C3D uninstall and choosing Add Features option.

Don't ask me how to use them, or how well they work, as I have never used them (located in California). But I think if you search for the user Mike Evans, he has done a fair bit of work with these tools.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 23
tcorey

If you're asking if there is a free trial version of Civil 3D, yes, there is. See:

http://usa.autodesk.com/civil-3d/trial/

This doc talks about using AutoCAD and Civil 3D to layout design for use in MicroDrainage:

http://www.microdrainage.co.uk/documents/datasheets/MDCAD%20Datasheet_W12%20(Rev1).pdf

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 23
Krite1

I can confirm that Microdrainage .SWS and .FWS files can be imported into Civil3d via the import from windes function within the UKIE country kit.

Using parts lists which are already set up in the UKIE template, the import process automatically builds a 3d model of the drainage system which can be labelled and scheduled with Civil 3d tools.

I have just imported a 250 pipe .SWS file with no problem. You have to ensure your parts list contains the parts which are in the .SWS file for correct display but Civil 3d will warn you if a part is missing and substitute an alternative which you can swap out later or you can update your parts list and re-import.

Message 5 of 23
Mathew.webber

Good Morning Muhammad,

The SWS link with Civil3D is being used increasingly for this very purpose. The link is produced and maintained by Autodesk as part of the UKIE country kit as suggested by Jeff_M, so if you need more information they are probably the best guys to speak to. That said we are currently working with Autodesk to help improve the link further to make it even more usable.

The MDCAD module. mentioned by Krite1. is designed to be used for sketching out the network within the AutoCAD/Civil3D enviroment ready to bring through to WinDes for design. It will create 3D lines (lines with levels) within its layers which some users find is enough, but quite often we find they now require full 3D entities for clash detection etc.

We are looking to improve WinDes in the Building Information Modelling area for the next release and aim to provide additional export options to help get the network data out in a 3D CAD format. That said we do value this link and will continue to work with Autodesk on it.

I hope this helps

Mathew Webber

Micro Drainage Support - support@microdrainage.co.uk

Message 6 of 23
Mabdullah

Thanks to all for useful responses.

I am facing following coupl e of problems while importing MD file into C3D and would be grateful for useful advice.

Receiving warning messages due to missing pipe sizes in part list, not sure how can I update part list to match MD file & also I can’t do editing in its properties. Similar issue is with MH sizes as well in structure style.

For couple of models, some MHs positions are incorrect in C3D not sure why/how

Thanks

Message 7 of 23
Krite1

Look back on the command line to work out which sizes have not been imported.

Undo the import

Use parts list edit on the Pipe Networks toolbar to add missing parts to your parts list.

Right clicking the various headings and parts should give you the answers you need to how to input new parts.

Try importing again.

It might be worth setting up your own part list with just the parts you require.

Ensure the Set  Network catalog dropdown boxes reference the UKIE pipe and structures.

Message 8 of 23
john.boyle
in reply to: Krite1

I am trying to import a .sws file into 3D Civil however it is not picking up a part lists file and therefore I can't complete the import. How do I ensure the Set Network catalog dropdown boxes reference the UKIE pipe and structures??

Message 9 of 23
Ian.Swatton
in reply to: john.boyle

Dear John

Unfortunately there is no way to set the current catalogs via the command line (or Civil 3D API), without the dialog being shown, before the ".SWS Import from file" command is run.

Therefore it is necessary to select the catalogs prior to running the command.  To do this follow the instructions below:

1. From the Create Design tab on the main ribbon, click the drop down arrow and select the "Set Pipe Network Catalog" option or type

_AeccSetNetworkCatalog

at the command prompt.

2. Ensure that the "Pipe Catalog" is set to "UK IE Metric Pipe Catalog" and that the "Structure Catalog" is set to "UK IE Metric Structure Catalog".

3. Then click OK.

4. Now run the "Import from file" command from the "Autodesk MicroDrainage Utility" found on the toolbox (under the "Subscription Extension Manager") or type

MDImportFile

at the command prompt and import the file as normal.

Hope this helps.

Ian Swatton

XP Solutions

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 23
john.boyle
in reply to: Ian.Swatton

Ian,

Thanks for that. I have just followed the steps and set the catologue to UKIE however I have tried to import and it is still not giving me a parts list to select. 

Message 11 of 23
Ian.Swatton

Hi John

It sounds as if you do not have any part lists defined in your drawing.  You can simply add a parts list with all parts in by selecting the "Create Full Parts List" from the "Create Design" tab from the main ribbon or by typing

_AeccCreateNetworkPartsListFull

at the command prompt.  This can take some time to generate the complete list.  Once this command is completed you can now run the import command  as before and you should now be able to select a parts list called "Full Catalog".

Ian

Message 12 of 23
john.boyle

Ian,

I have standard part lists within the drawing. I tried this as well but the parts list pull down on the import panel is still blank. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 23
Ian.Swatton

Hi John

What version of Civil 3D are you using (including service pack)?

What version of Windows are you running on (e.g. Windows 7 32bit, Windows 8.1 64bit)?

Do you have any additional "addins" running in your version of Civil 3D?

Are there any errors reported on the command line when you run the MDImportFile command?

Does the MDImportFile command work on other drawing files?

Does the MDImportFile command work on a brand new drawing file?

Ian

Message 14 of 23
john.boyle

Ian,

I am sorry about this....

Civil 3D 2013 UKIE

Windows 7, 64 bit

Add ins include Vehicle tracking, express tools, geotchnics module, bridge modeller module, genio extension

No errors... just a blank part list pull down on import

Have only tried one other drawing and had the same issue.

band new drawing is the same.

Message 15 of 23
Ian.Swatton

Hi John

Do you have the 64bit of Civil3D 2013 installed?

Can you also try running the "Import from file" command from the "Toolbox" in the "Toolspace" (ensuring that you right click on the one under the "MicroDrainage WinDES Link 64bit Only" assuming you have the 64bit version installed - if not can you use the 32bit one)?

Do you have "Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis 2013" installed?

On my machine I have this installed, so when the import command is run, I can see the following parts lists:

• Sanitary Sewer
  • Standard
  • Storm Sewer
  • Full Catalogue   (if I have run the Create Full Parts List command).

If you do not have this (Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis 2013) installed can you install it and try the command again?

If none of these ideas work - is it possible to upgrade to a newer version of Civil3D with the corresponding Country Kit installed?

Failing that, can you contact Autodesk directly as they write the import utility (sorry I know this is "passing the buck")?

Ian

Message 16 of 23
A360

John, please can you post the sws file for review if none of the below are true.

Firstly, Please run the setnetworkcatalog and browse to the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 20xxx\enu\Pipes Catalog\ Do you get an error message? If so you're apc files are corrupted or missing. Reinstall the parts by copying over from the default user folder.

Next perform a partcatalogregen & partcatalogtest and Look in the report files for the selected catalogue for errors.

Now Can you draw a civil3d structure & pipe. If so all is good here and it should work.

So I have some questions.

Now what did you use to detail the windes model? The windes file must be coordinated (the manholes must have Eastings and Northings) and have differing manhole numbers (Matthew Webber pls note Windes allows duplication of numbers, is this correct?).

Can you import the file into Drawnet(Cad) if so there is a problem elsewhere.

Are you trying to import and update an existing model? Check the pipe networks catalogue matches the one currently active.

Was the file originally created from Civil3d? Check the first lines of the SWS file from one created by Civil3d and one created by windes - There can be differences which cause issues with the Civil3d import.

Lastly try using a different AutoCAD Profile or a different Windows profile, I have had a windows & AutoCad profile get corrupted and need a rebuild.

If all of the above is correct and you are still having issues then I'd recon you have a faulty installation. Please reinstall / Repair etc.

I use Windes import/export all the time with no trouble. If an item is missing it resizes to the next available. The only issue which I do have is that windes will import the file and swap all the information out.

If you wish to design in Civil3d and bring it to Windes to test then please import to windes as an existing file. This way it will keep all your designed pipework and levels as they should be. (Again Matthew, might this be corrected somehow?)

All the best

Mike

Message 17 of 23
john.boyle
in reply to: A360

Mike,

I performed the first two steps as below and success, its all working now!!

"Firstly, Please run the setnetworkcatalog and browse to the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 20xxx\enu\Pipes Catalog\ Do you get an error message? If so you're apc files are corrupted or missing. Reinstall the parts by copying over from the default user folder.

Next perform a partcatalogregen & partcatalogtest and Look in the report files for the selected catalogue for errors"

I am not sure what the issues was as I had orginally created the network in C3D using the standard parts then exported to WinDES and was only going back from WinDES.

Anyway thank you for your help... much appreciated!

John 

Message 18 of 23
hamid.khan

Is the import / export function ( Windes MicroDrainage) available for C3D in 2106. I am struggling to find it in the Toolspace. see the sanpshot attached. 

Snapshot C3d.jpg

Message 19 of 23
Ian.Swatton
in reply to: hamid.khan

Hi Hamid

You'll need to install the "Global - Autodesk MicroDrainage Utility 64-bit English" productivity tool.

• To do this login to your Autodesk Account and locate the "Product Enhancements" option under "Products and Services".
  • Locate the "Productivity Tools for Autodesk Civil 3D 2016".
  • Download and install the "Global - Autodesk MicroDrainage Utility 64-bit English" option (you might want to download the PDF readme as well.

You can then access the tool via the subscription and extension option (see image).

Hope this helps.

Ian

MicroDrainage Utility.png

Message 20 of 23
hamid.khan

Thanks Ian, 

I have managed to install the MicroDrainage Utility, when I try to import the .SWS file it shows errors "Part family for this pipe is not available". I have regenerated the pipe and structures but still the problem persist. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report