Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging corridor surfaces that run parallel to each other

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
E_Shaft
1688 Views, 4 Replies

Merging corridor surfaces that run parallel to each other

How do I merge 2 corridor surfaces that are running parallel to each other. Due to this being an overlay project the CL will stay the same just raised 4.5" from existing CL and the existing cross slope varies which we are matching until you hit the sawcut. We are not ripping out or milling any apshalt, it is strictly an overlay of the exisitng with 4.5" of new asphalt. We are saw cutting 2' either side of theedge of paveement and matching in with proposed.  

I have created a feature line over the existing cl then raised it the required height. the cl has been offset 10 both sides to create my left and right shoulder alignments,  I then created a left and right shoulder corridor assembly which has supplied 2 seperate surfaces. I now would like to merge the 2 surfaces using the raised cl feature line as a break line to create the final proposed surface. I would prefer not to have to create feature lines from my corridor and create a new surface because i would like to take asphalt and subgrade quantaties at the end with out having to hand calc but will if need be.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: E_Shaft

It would be really helpful if you posted a picture, however it sounds like you can do this with one Corridor and one Corridor surface.

Two Offset Assemblies at your sawcuts and Links up to your CL crown (crown sampled from EG and raised 4.5")

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 5
sboon
in reply to: E_Shaft

Take a look at the help files for the OverlayWiden subassemblies.  Based on your description it sounds like they will do exactly what you want.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 5
tony1978
in reply to: sboon

An image would be helpful so we can better understand what you are tring to achieve. Sounds to me that you are just tieing down to an existing corridor surface but with a different shoulder height and location. Can you not just create a volume surface based off the 2 road surface? Then maybe run cross sections to see volume cut/fill per every 50'. It's my understanding that the existing corridor is acting as you existing surface. 

Tony

CAD Manager

Civil 3D 2012/2013

Win 7 64Bit, 24gb Ram

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 5 of 5
troma
in reply to: tony1978

If you have done too much work to go back and start with a different approach, and this is simply a question of merging surfaces, you can paste them together.  Make a new surface and then paste in the two you have, to make one large surface.  You can also add other data afterwards (such as an additional feature line).

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report