Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Pipe Libraries

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
KevinCollinsNEI
15580 Views, 6 Replies

Merging Pipe Libraries

I'm in the deployment testing phase of rolling out Civil 3D 2013.  We're currently using Civil 3D 2011.  We've done a moderate amount of customizing to 2011 to make it work for us - mainly in styles, but we did add a special pipe library because we still run into jobs that use clay pipe and other "non-standard"/"non-modern" items.

The problem is that we don't want to have redo the work to use our custom pipe libraries.  At the same time, we want to use anything that Civil 3D 2013 starts us with in the "Imperial" configuration because we've not completed our customizations and there are new things that our default starting drawing doesn't know about (pressure pipes and railways come to mind). 

So I'm wondering what the best method of merging the two libraries is.  Can I simply look for files that are only in our 2011 pipe library folders and copy those forward?

If the simple answer is "it's better to redo it." then please let me know.  It may stop us from creating pipes and parts in the future, because I for one do not relish the idea of recrating things everytime an upgrade happens.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: KevinCollinsNEI

Open your 2011 dwt in 2013 and save it, this will add any added functionality such as Pressure Networks.

Some will recommend starting over but if you go that route don't forget that many command & feature settings

don't go along for the ride when using the Import Styles Tool etc.

Map your Gravity Pipe Network Catalog if it includes customization & have it on the network.

This is a drawing setting so as long as it's mapped in dwt it will be found.

Do a quick test project to be sure it's working as expected.

Pressure Pipes use their own catalog.

You may be aware, but if you plan on using Pressure Pipes at all they've been greatly improved for 2014.

One difference is in 2013 you can't Data Reference Pressure Networks and several other improvements.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
KevinCollinsNEI
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

First, thanks for the response.

Second, just to be clear, let me tell what I think you told me and then you can correct me where I stray, OK?

Gravity Pipe: Since we had a networked "shared" copy of the gravity pipe library that we customized in 2011, we can continue to use that with 2013 as we did in 2011 with no issues.  I am assuming that there were no additions to the gravity pipe libraries with the release of 2013 so the "merge" is not needed.

Pressure Pipe:  I'm assuming that the Pressure Pipe system has its own pipe libraries.  I can place that on the network too and if we have to do any customization, we can do that to the shared copy.

Drawing Template (.dwt): We can use our custom 2011 template and bring it forward to make it our custom 2013 template. I can then use the "style importer" or drag and drop to bring the default 2013 styles for pressure pipes and rail from the stock 2013 tempate into our custom 2013 tempate and move forward.

2014: I understand there are additional benefits to the latest version, but we simply can't deploy it yet - not all of our CAD systems are 64-bit capable.  (We need to do some serious hardware upgrades in 2014)

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Message 4 of 7
jmayo-EE

To migrate pipe catalogs you will want to move the new autodesk parts into your custom catalog.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCIO/GUID-A7B66B66-37C0-4B96-A70F-4C121B7...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Jay_B

@KevinCollinsNEI wrote:

Drawing Template (.dwt): We can use our custom 2011 template and bring it forward to make it our custom 2013 template. I can then use the "style importer" or drag and drop to bring the default 2013 styles for pressure pipes and rail from the stock 2013 tempate into our custom 2013 tempate and move forward.

Yes except if you just launch Civil 3d 2013, open and save your 2011.dwt with 2013 that new feature stuff gets added behind the scenes automatically.

You shouldn't need to drag/drop anything in 2013 that you haven't standardized. Once saved then customize that new stuff as needed in your migrated  2013.dwt.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 7

I am also at the beginning of this process.  However, we are moving from 2012 to 2014.  The pressure pipe networks in 2014 are the biggest improvement and have a more complete catalog than in 2013.  You might consider 2014. 

Chuck Litchfield
AKS Engineering and Forestry, LLC
C3D 2024
Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Chuck_L_AKS

I prefer to use recover on the 2012 with 2014 and save as dwt: Kudos to Matt on that one

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report