Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Leak in C3D 2012

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tweller
742 Views, 4 Replies

Memory Leak in C3D 2012

I seem to be having a memory leak issue with 2012.  I recently created our deployment for C3D 2012 and installed it on my computer (i7, 8gig, win7pro 64bit).  I left my installation of 2011 on my machine.  It seemed to work just fine.  However, what I didn't realize at first but I am a experiencing a memory leak (when I first startup my computer it has almost 6 gig free and within a couple of hours all 8 gig are being used and the computer barely functions).  It seemed to be running the hard drive full time but I couldn't find any process or service responsible for it.

I have tried unintstalling and reinstalling 2012.....no solution.  I unstalled the Content libary service, no solution.  I uninstalled Raster no solution.

I then tried shutting down or uninstalling various other programs and services, no luck.

What finially worked this morning was uninstalling all of 2012 and leaving just 2011 on.  Now everything is fine, eacept no 2012 installed.  

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tweller

Hi,

>> within a couple of hours all 8 gig are being used

by what program? Memory can't get stolen, you should see in the Windows taskmanager which process reserves the memory (activate all columns, especially the memory ones). Make sure to see all processes, not just the ones from your current user.

I have installed AutoCAD 2012, Map3D 2012, Civil3D 2012, Inventor 2012, 3DS MaxDesign 2012 on Win7x64 (and also other products from Autodesk back to version 2010), additionaly office-, databaseserver- and developer-software. And I don't have the problem you describe. I guess that thousands of users have AutoCAD 2012 (or 2012-based) products now on Win7x64 and we would have heard such situations here in the forum (I haven't read one like yours, yet).

So I wouldn't bet 1 cent to make AutoCAD or Civil2012 to the products found guilty.

Of course there may be a combination of products you have installed together with Civil3D 2012, but for that (and to get useful answers) a list of software you have installed would be great.

Also some additional questions:

• did you run Windows-Update?
  • have you installed servicepacks for your Autodesk-products (and others)?
  • have you tried to login as another user and check the memory issue then?
  • have you tried to login as administrator and check the memory issue?
  • did you try to run the pc without starting AutoCAD/Civil? If not, do so/login and let the pc stay logged in a few hours and look then to the Windows taskmanager ==> processes ==> and see what is using the memory. Sometimes you will recognize that some defender or antivirus software checks "free resources" (pc is idle) and use this to do some scan ... but at the moment anything starts most of these apps frees up the memory.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
tweller
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the reply,

I did open taskmanager and really couldn't figure out where all the memory had gone. It didn't add up.  Looking at the list of services and processes nothing seemed to be much different from what I have seen before.  I have been dealing with this for several days, never getting it resolved until I uninstalled both 2012 Raster and 2012 C3D this morning.

Also some additional questions:

• did you run Windows-Update? 

Yes, everything is current and updated.

• have you installed servicepacks for your Autodesk-products (and others)? 

Other than the service pack/update for 2012C3d, no recent updates for any other programs.  However, when I last uninstalled 2012 and reinstalled 2012, I did not reinstall the service pack.

• have you tried to login as another user and check the memory issue then?

I am the only user other than the administrator account and no I didn't try that.

• have you tried to login as administrator and check the memory issue?

I thought about trying this but didn't do it before I uninstalled 2012 C3d this morning.

• did you try to run the pc without starting AutoCAD/Civil? If not, do so/login and let the pc stay logged in a few hours and look then to the Windows taskmanager ==> processes ==> and see what is using the memory. Sometimes you will recognize that some defender or antivirus software checks "free resources" (pc is idle) and use this to do some scan ... but at the moment anything starts most of these apps frees up the memory.

Yes, I started the computer without running any programs (except openning TaskManager) and the memory leak still occurred.  I shut down windows defender to see if that was the issue (as if it were trying to scan the hard drive).  What was strange is that no applications were listed on TaskManager and none of the processes listed were using up the memory or showing significant memory use growth.  I also used MSCONFIG to disable all startup programs.  I used MSCONFIG to shut down pretty much all services except video, dell or Microsoft related.  

All I know is for the last several hours my computer has worked just fine since uninstalling 2012. Its the first time in a week or longer that I can say this.

Thanks Tony

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tweller

Hi,

>> I did open taskmanager and really couldn't figure out where all the memory had gone

You see all processes - not just the ones from the current user (you have a checkbox near the bottom border of the taskmanager therefor)?

I can't beleive that the sum of amount of memory of the single processes is very different to what you see in the other tab with the graphical view (so I imagine you see the difference?).

If you don't get the values you need from the Windows taskmanager try the ProcessExplorer from >>>here<<<.

I understand that as your system seems now to be running fine, you won't try to install C3D 2012 now. But getting the info with "other user" and "admin-user" may be a step to isolate the problem, also the list of software may be important.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
tweller
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Well in the interest of full disclosure.  I reinstalled C3d2012 and found and resolved the memory leak issue.  Checking the all user box on Task Manager revealed that WDFME.EXE was sucking all of the available ram out of my system.  It started doing it as soon as the install for C3d got going.  WDFME is one of the files for Western Digital's SmartWare program I use to backup my computer/laptop on a portable drive.......no longer.  Killing that process tree made my computer (and its user very happy).  

I never liked the SmartWare software and now I have more reason to hate it.

Thanksfor the help......(I didn't think I needed to check the all user box since I was the only user and I was already seeing some SYSTEM applications running.  WDFME was running under the SYSTEM user but not showing up on the list without the all user box being checked).

- Tony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report