Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Match lines wrong after alignment edit

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
rkmcswain
3256 Views, 33 Replies

Match lines wrong after alignment edit

We have created some sheets using the plan production tools, and everything was OK.

Later on, we had to edit the alignment, which changed its length slightly.

I expected the match lines to either stay put and the station numbers would change -or- the match lines would move to the new location based on their station value.

But instead, what happened was that the "diamond" grip (for the match line) moved to the new location, but the actual match line itself did not move. So now a match line that should be at station 139+00 is actually constructed at 138+85. If I were to move the grip to make up the difference, then the labels are wrong..

What is going on and how do I fix this? Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Hi R.K, I have been through this issue with a support request; the developers intent is that the Plans are produced once the design is complete, not for setting up sheets prior to designs commencement. I know sounds bassackwards to me too, but that is how it was explained to me. Their fix/ work-around is to recreate the sheets! God bless anyone that has 40 hrs of PS work invested.

Joe

The design is never complete.  (Half serious, half joking when I say that.)

I tried plan production for the first time earlier this year.  Granted, I was new to the concept, and didn't have all the nuances down, but I ended up wasting so much time it wasn't funny.  I re-created the sheets three times.  I ended up going back to my "old school" method with named views, etc., and everything has been stable since.  Any subsequent adjustments are minor and easily tweaked without redoing everything.

The plan production concept is a good concept, but I don't think it's "there" yet.  And until the software developers understand that their ideal world of a design being finished first doesn't exist, it probably never will get "there".

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 22 of 34
mnorton
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi, Randy

Where are you these days?

I MUCH prefer Civil 3D over Land Desktop but I do miss two things: the point database and the sheet manager.  I think the point management tools in Land Desktop were easier and more effective than using point groups.

And as cumbersome as it was to set up, I was able to create submittal ready cross section and plan/profile sheets faster using the Sheet Manager than the Civil 3D plan production.

Mike

Mike Norton - The Civil Guy
Message 23 of 34
rkmcswain
in reply to: mnorton

What's wrong with the point database in C3D?  We use it with no issues.

Message 24 of 34
Cadguru42
in reply to: deltacoolguy

@deltacoolguy wrote:

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Hi R.K, I have been through this issue with a support request; the developers intent is that the Plans are produced once the design is complete, not for setting up sheets prior to designs commencement. I know sounds bassackwards to me too, but that is how it was explained to me. Their fix/ work-around is to recreate the sheets! God bless anyone that has 40 hrs of PS work invested.

Joe

The design is never complete.  (Half serious, half joking when I say that.)

I tried plan production for the first time earlier this year.  Granted, I was new to the concept, and didn't have all the nuances down, but I ended up wasting so much time it wasn't funny.  I re-created the sheets three times.  I ended up going back to my "old school" method with named views, etc., and everything has been stable since.  Any subsequent adjustments are minor and easily tweaked without redoing everything.

The plan production concept is a good concept, but I don't think it's "there" yet.  And until the software developers understand that their ideal world of a design being finished first doesn't exist, it probably never will get "there".

Just a few weeks ago I started my first 2015 project. Besides the giant mess of bugs and issues I ran into, I had this exact problem. We have to create 3 sheets for every match line: a present layout, a proposed layout, and a profile sheet. I created my alignment and profile for my 2,500' long project, then created view frames for it. I then created 9 sheets in different drawings using the Plan Production tools. After a field review, we had to add additional survey, which moved the beginning of the project a couple hundred feet. All the work I did creating the 9 sheets, including adding them to the sheet set, was thrown out the window as I had to delete every one of them, recreate the sheets, and redo the profile labels since the station range changed. I then had to edit the sheet set information for each of the sheets.

After I got those setup and plotted, the boss decided he wanted to show a little more on the sheet at the beginning of the project, which meant moving the match line. That meant redoing it all over for a third time. So, I created a total 27 sheets and edited 27 sheets in the sheet set manager all because the Plan Production tools aren't truly dynamic. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 25 of 34
rkmcswain
in reply to: Cadguru42

engrtech wrote:
....... Besides the giant mess of bugs and issues I ran into, I had this exact problem.

Exactly why we've never used it (or even tried to use it) since that initial test here (4 years ago based on date on my original post)

Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 34
mnorton
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I'm all for keeping the new functionality but if it's not faster it should at least bring something else to the table to offset any loss in productivity.

Message 27 of 34
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mnorton

Agreed.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 28 of 34
mnorton

My memory is a little fuzzy at times but I seem to recall importing points, with a single command, and the point database being automatically created.  Then I could import points into my drawing by simply windowing the area of interest - again with a single command.  I've made several attempts with both point groups and the survey database but thus far to no avail.  I suspect it may simply be a training issue.  Can you help?

Message 29 of 34
ryanlaughlin

This is still a major problem. I just ran into it for the first time. After adjusting the alignment, the match line and the match line grip are no longer located at the same point along the alignment. If I drag the match line grip to station 3+00, the label updates to reflect this new position, but the match line itself is located approximately 10 ft up or down the alignment. This IS a bug; why have the grips if the match line does not follow properly. It's a bug. Please fix this as this has become a big problem for us late in the game on our project.

Message 30 of 34
mjung
in reply to: ryanlaughlin

I've found the easiest way to resolve this is to drag the grip at one end of the matchline almost to the centerline (zooming in helps get it closer). Then use the rotate grip to align to the centerline. then drag the endpoint grip back out. Not a perfect solution but it does get it close to where it needs to be.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 31 of 34
rkmcswain
in reply to: ryanlaughlin

ryanlaughlin wrote:

This is still a major problem. ...... It's a bug. Please fix this as this has become a big problem for us late in the game on our project.

Unfortunately, there is nobody here that can help. Create a support ticket if you are on Subscription, and/or submit your feedback here.. It's been broken for 4+ years, and I suspect it's buried on the list. Send a feedback link every day, maybe it will eventually get some attention.
Message 32 of 34
ryanlaughlin
in reply to: mjung

Yes, I've also found this to be an acceptable work around to their bug, but
it adds time and could not possibly be the way Autodesk intended for this
to function.

*Ryan P. Laughlin*
*Design Engineer*

*526 Franklin Street*
*Michigan City, IN 46360*

*Office: 219.872.9407*
*Mobile: 260.255.1276*
*www.haasllc.com *
Message 33 of 34
~Opie

Add me to the list of tried it, didn't like it, and went back to a previously working manual solution.

Message 34 of 34
CADmgrMike
in reply to: ~Opie

Count me in as the latest victim. Smiley Mad

I was going gangbusters on a 21 sheet plan & profile set and the alignment changes in the middle.

Now I've got 11 sheets where the match line doesn't line up correctly. GGrrrrrr!!!

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report