Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Match daylighting between intersecting corridors

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nathan07
799 Views, 6 Replies

Match daylighting between intersecting corridors

I have a main road corridor and a small access road corridor that intersects the main road. I don't want the intersection to have curb returns because I just want the access road to act as a driveway enterance (main road curb will run straight through and just get depressed at the access road enterance). However, I want the daylighting for the main corridor and the access road corridor to match up at this intersection and I'm not sure how to do this.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: nathan07

The zero contour on a Volume Tin surface is the intersection of those two surfaces. Create the vol tin between the two cor srf's and extract the zero contour. Use the zero contour to create outer boundaries for each surface and they sould meet up nicely.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
nathan07
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Not quite sure what you mean by that. I haven't worked with a volume tin
surface before
Message 4 of 7
sboon

There aren't a whole lot of good solutions if you want to create a corner in your corridor daylighting.  One method I've seen is to omit the corridor daylights in this section, then extract the teaturelines from the two road edges and use them to build a grading object at the corner.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE

Sorry but I have been quite busy this week. I agree with Steve that there is no good way to clean these areas up and I use a bunch of different methods similar to the gradings Steve recommends. In a best case scenario I will simply omit one of the daylight links, extract the one that remains as a feature line, and let the other corridor target the fline in that area. I may also omit both daylight links in the conflicting region and just make a small surface from a few feature lines extracted from the corridor.

Searching you tube for intersection tutorials will show you a number of ways to create, manage and clean up these areas. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Neilw_05

One technique that can be used in these scenarios is to work with merged surfaces as targets. So for this case you could first create a surface from the driveway corridor which has the radii and daylighting. Then create an intermediate surface by pasting the EG then the driveway. Use that intermediate surface as the target for the main road and it should blend the daylighting perfectly.

P.S. If the main road has ditches you might want to reverse the order of merging. Paste the main road into the intermediate surface and use that as a target for the driveway. Then the driveway will daylight to the main road ditches.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 7
fcernst

At the end of the day, this is still just an intersection. Just use appropriate assemblies for the curb return baselines.

Like one with no curb and just a support shoulder and a daylight subassembly.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report