Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Haul Diagram: what is (and how it works) the Total Unusable Volume?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
guidobonin
1754 Views, 5 Replies

Mass Haul Diagram: what is (and how it works) the Total Unusable Volume?

I got into this item and tried to use it, but, apart the meaning of the words, I cannot figure out how it works and what it stands for.

Every time I use it for generating Mass Haul Diagram, I got an empty diagram (flat if no borrow pit or dump site), that does not take into account the design situation (or I do not understood the menaing of it..)

Any idea?

Any experience with it?

Thanks

Guido 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: guidobonin

The mass haul is the cumulative net volume plotted against chainage and a +ve gradient indicates net cut and a -ve gradient indicates net fill however their use in Civil 3D is a bit limited (and rather useless in practice for several reasons).

You should work through the tutorial exercises to allow you to get a better idea of how they work

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 6
guidobonin
in reply to: neilyj666

🙂

I liked the " ..however their use in Civil 3D is a bit limited (and rather useless in practice for several reasons)."...

Yes, what you say is the basic and it works for "total volume", also the two parts (cut and fill) works as they should, but the one I am talking about is really weird (the Total Unusable Volume).

i also went through the tutorial (+ the help, Google and here in the discussion forum9, but seems that noone ever used it (therefore noone had problems with it)

Message 4 of 6
guidobonin

Anybody ever used it?

Message 5 of 6
neilyj666

Never have - but as a traditional mass haul only depicts cut material that can be reused as acceptable fill material, then material that is unnacceptable is presumably the total unusable volume which is perhaps set up in Materials list somewhere/somehow.

As there doesn't appear to be a good explanation in the help, perhaps Autodesk don't know either...?!?!?!?!?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
sboon
in reply to: neilyj666

I've seen it calculated but I don't really see the point in showing it on a masshaul diagram.  We use masshaul for most of our road designs.  The graph that Civil3d produces is useful enough I guess, but it's part of the whole end area calculation system which has other flaws.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report